Sand in pool from pavers

I had the same problem and in my case its the ants fault. They went crazy for the sand and most of their hills either blew or got kicked into the pool. I had the patio guy come back and redo half of it the second year thinking it settled. Then 2 years later i pulled and redid the other half. This summer there was no sand left and it dawned on me there were no ants either. The whole patio is down 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch and now that its uniform it looks so much better than when it was wavy all over. The only tiles that didnt sink were the 4 corners. The bonding rebar is holding them up where they started. This summer i plan on chipping out the backs of them to make them match the rest of the patio. The part of the patio that i fixed was backbreaking and being my first time doing so, didnt come out a nice as i would have liked. Then it only lasted a season and it was right back to where it started. I used a hand tamper and the ants had a much easier time ripping it back up.

I tried several ant sprays and traps but never found the right combo. Or it helped but they just moved 10 feet over. If i end up pulling the patio again i will use some sort of cement instead of sand. Preferably i'd watch whoever i hired do it but i have many other projects on the list right now so it would most likely be me. And it was so miserable to do that im not in any rush to try again.

I had the same problem and in my case its the ants fault. They went crazy for the sand and most of their hills either blew or got kicked into the pool. I had the patio guy come back and redo half of it the second year thinking it settled. Then 2 years later i pulled and redid the other half. This summer there was no sand left and it dawned on me there were no ants either. The whole patio is down 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch and now that its uniform it looks so much better than when it was wavy all over. The only tiles that didnt sink were the 4 corners. The bonding rebar is holding them up where they started. This summer i plan on chipping out the backs of them to make them match the rest of the patio. The part of the patio that i fixed was backbreaking and being my first time doing so, didnt come out a nice as i would have liked. Then it only lasted a season and it was right back to where it started. I used a hand tamper and the ants had a much easier time ripping it back up.

I tried several ant sprays and traps but never found the right combo. Or it helped but they just moved 10 feet over. If i end up pulling the patio again i will use some sort of cement instead of sand. Preferably i'd watch whoever i hired do it but i have many other projects on the list right now so it would most likely be me. And it was so miserable to do that im not in any rush to try again.
Ants yes- we had them also. This is the only stuff that worked for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 17
That sure looks like NY does not want us to have it. If the ants come back i'll have to come borrow a squirt. Somebody posted a good chemical the other day and of course it wasn't available in NY or CT. Surprisingly CA didnt care because even pure mountain air is 'known to cause cancer by the State of California' .

That sure looks like NY does not want us to have it. If the ants come back i'll have to come borrow a squirt. Somebody posted a good chemical the other day and of course it wasn't available in NY or CT. Surprisingly CA didnt care because even pure mountain air is 'known to cause cancer by the State of California' .
It’s legal in New York if you hire a license guy but homeowners are not allowed to buy it.

but homeowners are not allowed to buy it.

Loooooool. Lucky guess i suppose. I had a coworker that retired and got a job with a national exterminating company. I randomly saw him 6 months later and we talked for 15 minutes before i saw his jacket. So i asked him a bunch of relavant termite/pest questions that i had at the time. He said that their 'ironclad garauntee' had so many holes in it that i could never win a case and that any chemicals that actually worked were unavailable in NY. He said they would charge me a thousand or two make it look like they were doing alot which didnt actually do a thing. So i've done over the counter or natural remedies since.

Reactions: Marty D
You are correct. Most do not work !! We have turkey in our back yard now. Over 50 of them. They come here and stay for over a month and peck at our yard. I think they are eating ant n ticks. That’s one way. The chemistry I showed you was for termites that we had inside the house 3 years ago. I used it inside and it worked !!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.