Sand Filter Question

Jun 16, 2009
Should a clean sand filter have the same pressure on backwash as it does on recirculate. I am helping friends slam, and the filter pressure is barely increasing...I am wondering if the sand is just not as effective as my DE filter? I added DE to the sand once yesterday and raised it 1 psi, then the filter raised on its own in a couple of yours, enough to warrant backwash. But now the filter has only raised 1 PSI all day running without DE. Water is holding FC overnight now, but water is still cloudy.

Sand filters do take a lot longer to clear a pool of cloudiness that a DE or cartridge filter. They just don't filter as fine of particles. Adding DE certainly helps them out in this case. I'd keep doing the DE after each backwash to help speed things along.

They should not have the exact same pressure on filter versus recirculate. Recirc is bypassing the filter entirely so it should be less back pressure. It may not be a lot higher on filter but it should be higher. I just checked on my pressure and it's 12.5 psi on recirc and 17 on filter. Mind you I am going to be backwashing soon and my clean pressure is usually ~14 psi. So it's definitely higher on filter, but not by a lot.

As a side note... on recirc there is water coming out my waste line. Oye... spider gasket in my future.

Sand is not as effective as DE.

Although not loved on the site I found zeobrite to deliver as promised for years now with DE clarity and sand convenience.

Never going back to DE, or cartridges, this works so well for myself and everyone I know using it.

UD

Sand is not as effective as DE.
The issues are much more complicated than that. Sand is a much better filter medium for clearing a mess out of a pool. DE filters will clog far too often to clean up the debris quickly.

On the other hand, DE clears very fine particles out of the water that sand does not.

One should make a decision on filter media based on your particular requirements....no one media is head and shoulders better than another.

Can sand, cartridge or DE filters all give you perfectly crystalline sparkling water? You betcha'

Thanks for the answers....I am having them do the backwash, add DE thing for now to see if we make headway. How often is to large of pump the cause of poor filtration. They have a Hayward 256T filter, and I think a 1HP pump. I am verifying pump size, but I think that is correct. This shouldn't be too much pump for that filter should it? 26000 AG system.

Just found out it is a 1.5 HP Hayward powerflo lx pump. To much for that filter?

That size sand filter is a bit undersized for the pool and may be marginally undersized for the pump. Have to check flow rates of the pump and recommendations for the filter. Over sized pumps and undersized filters are extremely common with builders, at least when it comes to sand filters from what I've seen locally.

Dave is correct. Each filter type has its advantages, situationally, and can be effective.

Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and grammar errors!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.