Salt level concerns & question

I got to figure out how to do this quote thing to reply to just specific parts of messages once I get my pool back in order 😂
Just highlight the portion you want to quote, then click "quote" on the screen:

Screenshot_20230813_083636_Chrome.jpg

You can do this several different times for multi-quotes. Under the reply box, click "insert quotes".

Reactions: hensler74
Ok just added 70 pounds of salt and brushed really good until dissolved. I went lower than needed in case I need to add LC.

I know I need to run the pump 24 hours with the SWG off. Do I need to wait 24 hours before testing again or can I test a couple times in the 24 hours to see where I am?

Also I should add LC to maintain FC while the SWG is off correct?

Maintain FC levels with liquid chlorine. Wait 24 hours, then readjust. If you're adding smaller amounts of salt to fine-tune your levels, it's okay to leave the SWG on. LC will not have significant effects on your salt level. It's something that happens over years.

Maintain FC levels with liquid chlorine. Wait 24 hours, then readjust. If you're adding smaller amounts of salt to fine-tune your levels, it's okay to leave the SWG on. LC will not have significant effects on your salt level. It's something that happens over years.
[/QUOTE

Thanks

Took readings today after work and things are looking good with the salt levels it was 3400 using the K-1766 test.

My FC was 3 which is what pool math is saying my target level is for 50 CYA. So my question is should I add some LC to get it up higher since I was just able about 4 hours ago to turn back on my SWG and the pump will be going off soon. Or leave it alone tonight and start to monitor and adjust SWG % according to readings I get tomorrow after work? I am still waiting on CYA to come up more since I added dry stabilizer yesterday to get to 70 so my current FC target is based on the current CYA of 50. I day this because I know my target will continue to go up as the CYA goes up.

Want to make sure I am staying on track since I recently completed an 8 day slam followed by the drain and refill due to high salt levels.

Today’s reading
FC - 3
CC - .5
PH - 8 (added acid but have not retested)
TA - 100
CH - 250
CYA - 50
Salt - 3400
Temp - 91
CSI - 0.29

You should up the FC with some LC say midway between 5-10
I will do this tonight.
get the CYA up to 70
I added 45 oz of dry stabilizer yesterday per pool math to get my CYA to 70 and was at 40 yesterday before adding and 50 today when I tested it. Will test again Wednesday to see where it is.
then let thre SWCG do its thing and stay in the 9-10 range.
Once I know my CYA is where it needs to be I will continue to adjust SWG to stay in the target range accordingly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you're putting the CYA in the skimmers it can take up to a week to show on testing as it takes time to work itself completley out.
I added it yesterday to the skimmer so too late now.

I'd recommend the regular method in front of the return.
I will keep this in mind for next time I have to add it.

If you're putting the CYA in the skimmers it can take up to a week to show on testing as it takes time to work itself completley out. I'd recommend the regular method in front of the return.
He used socks/nylons in the skimmers.

It still goes in to the filter
From Wiki:

Alternatively, the sock can be placed into the skimmer basket BUT it should only be left in there if the pump is continuously running and not turned on and off by a timer. CYA is acidic when it dissolves into water and so it is not a good idea to leave the sock in the skimmer without the pump running.

Pouring granular CYA into the pool directly, or into the skimmer as recommended on stabilizer bottles, is not recommended as it takes a long time to dissolve and the granules can sit against the pool surface creating locally low pH levels.

Since I added the CYA on Sunday would tomorrow be too soon to test again? I know it can take up to a week to get accurate results.
I have lots of CYA reagents so not worried about running out or anything. I more want to get my readings up in pool math so I can know where I am sitting daily and weekly on all the test and try to figure out the proper % for my SWG.

I hate the CYA test. It’s like since I know the black dot is there it plays tricks on me. I think it is 60 but I feel that I might still see the black dot a little or my eyes are playing tricks on me. Had the wife do it as well and she said she could not see it anymore when it was between 50-60.

Guess I go with 60 at this point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.