Salt cell lights stay on when pump is off

csuebele

Jul 8, 2023
Cornelius, NC
I have a Pentair Intellichlor IC40 attached to a Pentair Easy touch 8. When then pool pumps go off, or in service mode, the IC40's lights stay on. I recently bought the house with this pool, so I'm trying to tackle the learning curve.

Welcome to TFP.

You need to move the power wires for the IntelliChlor and attach them to the LOAD side of the filter pump relay.

If you need help, post pics of the inside wiring or your Load Center cabinet.

Reactions: csuebele
I have a Pentair Intellichlor IC40 attached to a Pentair Easy touch 8. When then pool pumps go off, or in service mode, the IC40's lights stay on. I recently bought the house with this pool, so I'm trying to tackle the learning curve.
Here's a rundown of my control panel. I do have an appointment sheduled later in the month with a pool company, if I can't figure this out.

From the salt transformer:
Yellow is spliced with 2 black wires. One going to pump and the other to main breaker.
White is spliced with 2 red wires one to pump and other to main breaker.
Blue and black are spliced together.

On control board. J8 no connection, but seems like it should be pump
J9 to Aux 5 relay: small pump (spa pump maybe - it doesn't work)
J10 to Aux 1 lights and heater
J11 to Aux 2 not sure what that's goes to.

Nothing attached to pump relay, but it turns off and on with the touch panel.
20230708_094519.jpg

Attachments

• 20230708_094252.jpg
    20230708_094252.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 14
C,

Your EasyTouch was installed by an idiot... !!!

The key here is that the Pump/Filter relay must be used when you have a SWCG. That relay prevents the cell from getting any power unless the relay is closed. The relay will not close unless you are in the Pool or Spa mode.

Your VS pump should get constant AC power from the breaker, so that is good. But the SWCG transformer should only get AC power from the load side of the Pump/Filter relay and it obviously needs to be connected to J8 on the main card.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
C,

Your EasyTouch was installed by an idiot... !!!

The key here is that the Pump/Filter relay must be used when you have a SWCG. That relay prevents the cell from getting any power unless the relay is closed. The relay will not close unless you are in the Pool or Spa mode.

Your VS pump should get constant AC power from the breaker, so that is good. But the SWCG transformer should only get AC power from the load side of the Pump/Filter relay and it obviously need to be connected to J8 on the main card.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks, Jim

C,

Assuming your installer followed the layout on the inside of the door, you have the following.. (From left to right, top to bottom..)

Pump/Filter relay - not used
Aux 1 - used
Aux 2 - used
Aux 3 - used
Aux 4 - used
Aux 5 - not used
Aux 6 - not used
Aux 7 - not used.

Since Aux 1, 2, 3, and 4 are used.. You should have 4 relays connected to J9, J10, J11, and J12. but you do not. One of them is missing, but impossible to know which one, as any relay can plug into any relay port. I assume the missing relay connection is for the small pump that won't work, but who knows if the others are plugged into the correct ports???

Thanks

Jim R.

So in your photo, are the yellow and white wires from the transformer? What are the black wires attached to?
C,

Assuming 240 volts connections...

The Yellow and White wires from the SWCG transformer go to the load (Output) side of the Pump Filter relay.

The Line (input) side of the Pump Filter relay go to L1 and L2 of 240 volt breaker (Or any 240 volt power source)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
C,

Assuming 240 volts connections...

The Yellow and White wires from the SWCG transformer go to the load (Output) side of the Pump Filter relay.

The Line (input) side of the Pump Filter relay go to L1 and L2 of 240 volt breaker (Or any 240 volt power source)

Thanks,

Jim R.
20230708_094313.jpg
Ok, so I'm assuming that this pigtail with the yellow from the transformer and the 2 blacks from the breaker and the pump need to be disconnected. The yellow then goes to the load side of the relay. The 2 black wires can be reconnected with a new 3rd wire that runs to the line side of the relay
Same with the white wire.

Ok, so I'm assuming that this pigtail with the yellow from the transformer and the 2 blacks from the breaker and the pump need to be disconnected. The yellow then goes to the load side of the relay. The 2 black wires can be reconnected with a new 3rd wire that runs to the line side of the relay
Same with the white wire.
C,

Yes.. You are correct..

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.