May 26, 2022
Kansas City, mo
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there-

Our pool is four years old with a standard chlorinator, spillover spa, and automatic safety cover. I am contemplating converting to a salt water chlorinator system but want to know if anyone has issues with the salt corroding the autocover. Also, this may be a silly question, but can you convert a spillover spa to salt as well?

Thank you!

Geday Lindy, welcome to TFP and the forums,

as already mentioned, in terms of corrosion the extra salt required for a SWG wont add any significant increase to corrosion rates.

What do you mean by, “standard chlorinator”? I think SWG but if you’re referring to a tablet feeder I would suggest you check your CyA levels. Tablets add CyA and can increase your CyA to the point where your pool becomes unmanageable. The best person to test and look after your pool is yourself. A good test kit is a cheep investment when you consider the cost of a pool.

Test Kits Compared

Pool Care Basics

Please post as much information as you can about the auto-cover - manufacturer, model, and any constriction specifics about how it was installed. There is a track that it follows on, what is that made of?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.