Safety Glass In Pool ?

iain42

Oct 16, 2016
Little Rock AR
We had a crazy storm the other day. It opened my umbrella and lifted the umbrella and table tossit it 20 feet. The umbrella landed closed on the pool cover. The table landed close to the edge of the pool but the safety glass went all over the place. There is a some glass in the pool along the edge in a 10ft section. How best to remove this? Can I use the pool vaccum to get the pieces or will it harm the pump? Any advise greatly appreciated....

Yikes.

I would suggest not putting that through your pump or equipment. Very abrasive. Hopefully some other members may have a suggestion but mine would be to safely drain the pool and use a shop vac to clean it thoroughly. But again, others may have a better idea.

Since I already have one, I would try a leaf bagger. It hook up to your garden hose and uses water pressure to force debris up into the bag. There are "fine mesh bags" available that should catch all but the smallest slivers. It may be worth a try for only a $30 investment. If you're not confident you got it all you could still go with the drain and vac method.

Just a thought...
download-jpg.92954

Only safe thing to do is drain the pool and vacuum the entire surface.

Glass shards are impossible to see under water. Someone may step on a shard and get it imbedded in their foot. Even safety glass can have sharp edges. Then you have a trip to a doc to remove it.

No glass of any kind is allowed in my pool area.

@ajw22 Allen, what if your neighbors glass table blows into your yard? You didn’t think of that, did ya!! :laughblue:

Then it gets drained. ?

That’s one of the reasons I have high fences and lots of shrubbery between me and any neighbor.

Reactions: PoolguyinCT
I would get a leaf canister with a fine mesh bag and a manual vacuum and vacuum the pool extremely well several times, and then vacuum it a few more times. That should get all the glass out of the pool and it won't go to the filter.

For reference, when an umbrella is closed it’s easy for a gust of wind to catch it and pop it open. It’s only gravity that is holding it closed. My neighbor had his go missing and found it days later on the roof of the house. When you close a pool umbrella, either store it away or wrap a bungee cord around it to prevent it opening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure why a contractor is needed to drain a pool. I can handle that easily.

It seems that is the way to go to drain the pool and vaccum to be sure it is all gone. It sucks as I have kept my water perfectly balanced even in winter..

Looks like I learned a lesson about umbrellas and glass tables 8-( It must have flown 20+ft.

Absolutely no glass in the backyard allowed... Now..... New table will be metal or wood top...

Hire a service to use a pump to vacuum to waste using their own pump.

You should be able to get the glass out without losing too much water.

First, use a deep leaf net and brush to get out as much as possible.

After the side vac, vacuum with your system into the skimmer basket with a skimmer sock to make sure that you get 100% of the glass.

1. Glass can stay in pools for years. 1 piece is 1 too many. That’s a safety factor you can weigh for your family & guests.

2. Yes it is simple task to remove the water from a pool. Can you competently evaluate your topography & impending weather?

Last edited:
Reactions: ajw22
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.