Rust on outside wall pool

(Please dont kill the messenger :))

The rust on the inside is going to make the outside look pretty. :(

Some have been able to sand and recoat the wall but some have also gone through all the trouble only to have it blow apart a short time later anyway.

You're on borrowed time either way IMO. Hang tight for more thoughts.

Took the cover off today. Lost a lot of water over the winter though it is really clear lol.

Off to pool store later to get their suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off to pool store later to get their suggestions
About what ?

One of us is Trouble Free Pool.

One of us is sucky yucky where did my mortgage money go this month and why is the pool a swamp when we spent so much money pool.

Calm down. I do follow the tfp for water treatment.

I am looking for what I need to do about the rust situation ie. Do I need a new pool, which I'd have to get there as I don't know how to install one.

Calm down. I do follow the tfp for water treatment.
Reccomendations about the *rust*. I get it now. Lol. Sorry, but we SO many of the others. Force of habit.

You can't know how bad the inside is without lowering the water and peeling back some of the liner. It will likely be much worse on the inside.

@kimkats @Casey and @zea3 all had rust issues, let's get their thoughts.

Like @Newdude said the rust on the inside is going to be much on the inside :( Time to count your pennies to see when you get a new pool to put in place of that one. My guess is if you try to sand that spot to remove the rust you are going to make a hole all the way through.

To make sure I would not add any water and see if you can see just how bad it is inside.

FWIW, I replaced my liner two years ago. My pool wall is about 16 years old. I riveted sheet metal to the inside on some rusty spots, then coated around the entire bottom edge and the sheet metal with rust prevention paint and rustoleum. The difference for me is I was replacing the liner anyway so had full access to the pool wall.

I don't see that one spot bursting the pool, like if the seam where the two halves of the walls meet looked the same.

But if you don't go after it now, and wait until the end of the season, it may spread beyond repair, even with your skills.

But if you do go after it, you could lose the pool now.

I don't envy your decisions.

My pool is 16 years old as well.

I'll pump out what's left in the pool and take off the line to see what's under there.

I may go your route depending on what it looks like knowing may need new pool in 2 or 3 years.

I'm sure I'll have more pics to come

Reactions: Newdude and kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow. Except for the hole, it should have been much worse. Normally we see a couple feet of the wall just destroyed. You should be able to clean that up and rivet on a patch, with your skills.

Do you use steel or aluminum sheet metal to patch?
If you use steel it needs to be stainless. Be sure to tape over the edges & rivets before replacing the liner. You want it as smooth at you can get it.
Just catching up on your predicament, did someone get carried away & shoot a hole?
It’s a crazy spot for a hole!
Also, peel the liner away from the bottom edge and inspect that. If it’s badly rusted you’ll need a new wall/pool

Reactions: Newdude
Some more pics after using the cup brush that you attach to drill. I ground towards the bottom as well and seems solid though discolored. any thoughts? spray etching primer on it there since its solid?

Seems solid though discolored. any thoughts?
Well I can't see your yard through it, so there is that. :ROFLMAO:

It looks like surface rust from 3 states away, and primer will only help.

How's the bottom rail ? Sometimes they catch the water running down the wall and take the worst of it.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.