Rough area below water line on Fiberglass pool

WWells

Jun 3, 2013
Dunwoody, GA
Moved from here.
I noticed yesterday the area below the general area of water line is roughish, after reviewing this it looks like my laissez faire attitude towards chlorine level may have cause this, I generally follow TFP guidelines however I figured 'a little extra chlorine couldnt be bad right?' Well maybe! This issue is more pronounced in areas in direct sunlight, is my issue likely high chlorine and PH? PH is typically in the acceptable range. Is too high chlorine otherwise an issue? Ideally I would like to reverse this, if not possible stop it and mitigate any future issues. Thanks all, pictures attached UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_12f7.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_12f9.jpg

I have the same issue in my pool. I did not find the TFP process until I converted to saltwater a few years ago. Since then my chemistry is spot on but the pool surface between above the water line and below the water line is night and day. As an analogy, above the water line is 4000 grit sand paper, below the line is 80 grit. Mine is also faded from blue almost to white below the water line. It is very noticeable when drained, my steps look almost completely white but not so bad when covered with water. Last year I contacted the pool manufacturer to see if it was something they would warranty. I got a reply for $12,000 they will come and repair it and I am responsible to drain it, put bracing in and then refill it when they are done. Obviously I told them to pound sand for 8 grand more I could buy a brand new fiberglass pool and put it in myself.

No doubt that at least some of it was caused by improper pool care during the first few years from listening to the installers who say just put chlorine pucks in and keep it 1-3, keep ph at 7.2 and alk at 90. Live and learn. Found out through TFP there is so much more and why I tell anyone who is getting a pool now, don't listen to the pool builder as far as chemistry. They're great at putting pools in (most of the time) but not so great at the chemistry side.

Brushing helps particularly when done prior to this.
I love my Mytee Mitt. I just walk around the pool (or float on a noodle in the deep end) and casually scrub away.
I've been known to wax the area above my water line just because it looks good and water spots don't show as much. I used paste wax and was careful to keep out of the water.

Maddie 🇺🇦

I am letting my CH drift down to recommended, I cant believe I never knew this was something that could happen! Very noticeable on ledge and one wall, want to slow it down or stop from happening further. A bit bummed about this but alas what is done is done

Don't be too hard on yourselves. :hammer: I truly believe not all FG pools are created/coated equally. Even if they were, there's a point where the physical properties of water (chlorinated or not) will begin to penetrate the gelcoat resulting in changes. Of course the manufactures is going to place the blame on the owner. Sure, some owners have zero clue about chemistry and don't manage it properly at all. But there are some of us who DO know better and DO take care of the levels, but the gelcoat still changes. Like the color of my hair. :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.