REVIEW: Dolphin Oasis Z5 from Epic Pool supply

OK, I'm through watching the fascinating mesmerizing robot for the day - now a serious question. Where do y'all have your handle angle set? What seems to work best for you?

IIRC there's 4 settings. I run one side on #2, and the other side on #3.

If that doesn't make sense I can take a pic.

I have only had mine a couple of weeks, and I've been setting the handle at a 'gentle' angle, meaning I've had it set the same way mrcarcrazy has it set. Having it at either #2/#3 or #3/#2 provides the same amount of angle, just a different direction in each case. They recommend changing the angle direction back and forth between cleanings, but I haven't done that yet. I'll change it this weekend. I think the two different angle directions determine whether or not it will travel right to left or left to right when it's going along the waterline tile. Pretty soon I'll try the more extreme angle settings (#1/#4 or #4/#1)and see what kind of difference that makes. My guess is that it will travel along the waterline tile at a faster rate, but we'll see.

In any case, the #2/#3 (or #3/#2) setting has worked fine for me so far.

-Greg

A few observations about the Z5 after using it a few days: I had always managed to get the pool floor "clean enough" before, but I didn't ever realize how far that was from "really clean!" This thing gets it really clean!

I've run it on three full cycles so far, and the second and third times it's picked up stuff I didn't even know was there. I've found that the 2-3 or 3-2 handle angle seems to work well, just as previous posters have said. M pool has been plagued with pollen (everything around here is caked with yellow powder this spring) and the Dolphin did a pretty respectable job of vacuuming that fine stuff up, along with earthworms, caterpillars, oak tassels, and just a bunch of crud.

It does not seem to perform as well with the fine pleated filters, and wouldn't even climb to the waterline. Maybe it's an issue of the amount of water flow through those, but it works as advertised with the standard filters. Maybe I'll reserve those for floor-only cycles where it's mostly dust and pollen.

I have two floor drains, and it never gets stuck on one of them and ALWAYS gets stuck on the other. I guess the other one must be just an 1/8" higher or something. A nudge with a brush dislodges it, but I have to kind of keep an eye on it, as it seems to head right for the problematic drain first thing.

All stored away on the caddy, it's way bigger than I envisioned, and the spot I'd planned to store it isn't going to be practical, so I'm going to rethink how to keep it handy and convenient.

The bottom line is, even though it was a lot of money, my pool has NEVER been this clean. I'm happy with the purchase and really looking forward to the rest of the season. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

A few observations about the Z5 after using it a few days: I had always managed to get the pool floor "clean enough" before, but I didn't ever realize how far that was from "really clean!" This thing gets it really clean!

I've run it on three full cycles so far, and the second and third times it's picked up stuff I didn't even know was there. I've found that the 2-3 or 3-2 handle angle seems to work well, just as previous posters have said. M pool has been plagued with pollen (everything around here is caked with yellow powder this spring) and the Dolphin did a pretty respectable job of vacuuming that fine stuff up, along with earthworms, caterpillars, oak tassels, and just a bunch of crud.

It does not seem to perform as well with the fine pleated filters, and wouldn't even climb to the waterline. Maybe it's an issue of the amount of water flow through those, but it works as advertised with the standard filters. Maybe I'll reserve those for floor-only cycles where it's mostly dust and pollen.

I have two floor drains, and it never gets stuck on one of them and ALWAYS gets stuck on the other. I guess the other one must be just an 1/8" higher or something. A nudge with a brush dislodges it, but I have to kind of keep an eye on it, as it seems to head right for the problematic drain first thing.

All stored away on the caddy, it's way bigger than I envisioned, and the spot I'd planned to store it isn't going to be practical, so I'm going to rethink how to keep it handy and convenient.

The bottom line is, even though it was a lot of money, my pool has NEVER been this clean. I'm happy with the purchase and really looking forward to the rest of the season. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

I'm glad my review was able to help you. Sounds like your experiences have been spot on with mine.
When my pleated filters get a little clogged the robot doesn't break the waterline. I found that using a pressure end on the hose when rinsing the filters delayed the drop in suction (gentle streams don't fully clean the filters)

Got my Z5 back from Maytronics. They had to replace the motor. They were very prompt in getting it back to me. Still hard to swallow $70 shipping costs.

That is disappointing you had an issue. I hope it's the last you encounter. Shipping such a massive device is pricey. I don't blame them for not covering both ways. But it sucks the buyer has to. No real winner on that. Would be nice to have a local dealer. Guess that's a pipe dream for most if not all of us.

Mine is knocking on a year old. I'm still a huge fan. I just dropped 100 bucks on a pro remote to give me the tile scrub feature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.