residual plaster dust in cartridge filter 6 months after remodel?

jjean

Sep 10, 2022
allen, tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
We remodeled our pool in late September with mini pebble. Looks great and the water is clear. We have cleaned the filter three times since the remodel. The last cleaning was just last week and the cartridge filters are still full of plaster. Is this normal? When will it end?!

We have been very careful to keep water properly balanced. We brushed a ton when it was first remodeled. Our phosphates have been high but we also have a lot of trees. We have been treating for phosphates. I just didn't think the cartridges should still have plaster residue after 6 months?

thank you!

Our phosphates have been high but we also have a lot of trees. We have been treating for phosphates.
You have me a bit concerned by this statement. Who confirmed a high phosphate level and what product(s) were used to treat them? Can you also post a full set of water test results? We'd like to know what test kit you are using at home as well. Let's start there please.

Reactions: jjean
You have me a bit concerned by this statement. Who confirmed a high phosphate level and what product(s) were used to treat them? Can you also post a full set of water test results? We'd like to know what test kit you are using at home as well. Let's start there please.
I take the water sample to leslies to test for phosphates. i also do a home test kit for other things but those don't test for phosphates. We back to a forest of trees and have a lot of leaves/blossoms, etc year round.
I take the water sample to leslies to test for phosphates. i also do a home test kit for other things but those don't test for phosphates. We back to a forest of trees and have a lot of leaves/blossoms, etc year round.
on 4-12 i had water tested and phosphates were 1500! i treated with nophos, cleaned filter, shocked and balanced and phosphates were then 311. When the cartridge filters were cleaned there was a lot of plaster residue still, even though we have cleaned the filters twice since the remodel. I attached a water test from 4-12 before we treated with No phos and from 4-17 after we treated and cleaned the filter. (I know the chlorine is slightly high on 4-17 and I also added some baking soda since the alkalinity was on the low side. )

Attachments

• leslies 4-12.jpg
    leslies 4-12.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 7
  • leslies 4-17.jpg
    leslies 4-17.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Okay, so here are my concerns and I'm sure others will chime in as well.
- Here at TFP we caution pool owners to avoid store testing. It's most often very unreliable. In most cases, they push a product on you ($$) to make a sell - i.e. phosphates.
- In most cases, phosphates are not the issue, nor do they require immediate attention. Most members here have never tested their phosphate level because their pool is algae free.
- We emphasize accurate owner-user water testing with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. We need to see test results from one of those kits.
- It is doubtful all the store test results are accurate, especially the CYA. But if your CYA actually is 50, your FC has fallen in the past to a point you may actually have an algae issue.
- There is also a possibility some of the product in your cart filters is from the phosphate products.
- Since you mention plaster, have you ever tried to capture some of that product in the cart filters, place it in a pile, and pour some acid on it? You should try that next time to confirm if it's actually calcium.

I can't emphasize enough obtaining one of those test kits. It will last all season if used properly and is a must-have for any pool owner. It pays for itself in accuracy. With a proper test kit, you could then do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if you have excessive organics in the water (algae).

The pool has been clear but the store testing of phosphates was so very high i did treat it... I will look into getting one of those testing kits. I am a little confused on how to test what the gunk was that was in the cartridges. We did also replace the cartridge filter when we did the remodel if that makes a difference. I poured some acid on the residue left on the driveway from the filter clean - it foamed up but so did another spot on the driveway where there was none of the residue i am concerned is plaster... the residue is similar in color to the plaster and kind of chalky. thank you!

People here on TFP who choose to treat phosphates are told here to not bother with the very diluted product Leslie's pushes on customers. There are better phosphate removers. Most of us never even test for that. In 12 years i've never had algae, nor a reason to wonder about phosphates. One poster here said he was warned his were high at 250. <insert eye roll>

Maddie :flower:

I poured some acid on the residue left on the driveway
Maybe next time see if you can scrape some of that stuff off of the paper cartridges and place them in a pile in the yard where you don't mind pouring some muriatic acid on it. That way if it does fizzle, it's from the stuff you obtained from the cartridges and not the concrete driveway itself.

Buying a proper test kit is frustrating for some new members, but later they realize they were literally going blindly with their chemistry, and the pool store was little to no help at all. Accurate numbers means everything to pool water. Below are a couple links you might like to see.

Maybe next time see if you can scrape some of that stuff off of the paper cartridges and place them in a pile in the yard where you don't mind pouring some muriatic acid on it. That way if it does fizzle, it's from the stuff you obtained from the cartridges and not the concrete driveway itself.

Buying a proper test kit is frustrating for some new members, but later they realize they were literally going blindly with their chemistry, and the pool store was little to no help at all. Accurate numbers means everything to pool water. Below are a couple links you might like to see.

thank you!

Jean,

When you use Phosphate removes, it removes them by making them large enough so that you can vacuum them to waste or for your filter to capture them.

I suspect that is what you are seeing in your filter.

That said, I have never used a phosphate remover so have no direct experience with what the results would be.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jean,

When you use Phosphate removes, it removes them by making them large enough so that you can vacuum them to waste or for your filter to capture them.

I suspect that is what you are seeing in your filter.

That said, I have never used a phosphate remover so have no direct experience with what the results would be.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you that makes sense!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.