Replaster Help

JDunks

Sep 18, 2022
North Carolina
Hello all. I have a 22 year old gunite pool that has two cracks and i think needs to be replastered. I live in the south east (Charlotte) and was wondering when is the best time to get the replastering, crack repair, and tile work done. Is there a time of year that's cheaper than another? Also Im very handy, should I attempt to repair the cracks myself? You can see them in the pictures in the corner of the stairs, and under the skimmer. Thanks

Attachments

• 20231026_183206.jpg
    20231026_183206.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231026_183217.jpg
    20231026_183217.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231026_183229.jpg
    20231026_183229.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231026_183307.jpg
    20231026_183307.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231026_183310.jpg
    20231026_183310.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 27
You would think that Fall/Winter would be the slow time but if your area is backed up with demand then you would not see much difference in pricing.
From a process standpoint, it would be better to do prior to Spring because skies are overcast now and sun is lower on the horizon. The crack may only be in the plaster (not the underlying gunite), so if you chip everything out there may not be any concerns.

When obtaining bids, ask for a full chip out of existing plaster, This provides the best adhesion for new plaster against the gunite base. Sometimes companies try to reduce their workload and make a lower price by only chipping out where the crack or soft areas are. To ensure the new plaster job will last, do not have any 22 year old plaster underneath it.

Are you noticing a loss of water that’s out of the norm?
The crack that starts inside the skimmer and runs in a straight line at an angle along with the straight line crack to its left appear to be following a type of pattern. Most likely its nothing, I would examine the surface of the underlying Shotcrete when exposed.
Best time of year to have the work done in my area is jus before the holidays.

Last edited:
Are you noticing a loss of water that’s out of the norm?
The crack that starts inside the skimmer and runs in a straight line at an angle along with the straight line crack to its left appear to be following a type of pattern. Most likely its nothing, I would examine the surface of the underlying Shotcrete when exposed.
Oh there's loss of water. I patched it last winter and it held. I loose about an 1/8" overnight.
You would think that Fall/Winter would be the slow time but if your area is backed up with demand then you would not see much difference in pricing.
From a process standpoint, it would be better to do prior to Spring because skies are overcast now and sun is lower on the horizon. The crack may only be in the plaster (not the underlying gunite), so if you chip everything out there may not be any concerns.

When obtaining bids, ask for a full chip out of existing plaster, This provides the best adhesion for new plaster against the gunite base. Sometimes companies try to reduce their workload and make a lower price by only chipping out where the crack or soft areas are. To ensure the new plaster job will last, do not have any 22 year old plaster underneath it.
Thanks. I found three companies in my area that do the work. Are the new finishes any good? I've seen the Pebble Tech and a few others on YouTube.

I suggest you personally check out the different types of finishes from actual jobs that your contractors have installed. Samples are all ways smoother and more consistent in color than actual installed finishes. Exposed aggregate finishes are popular but can have a more aggressive feel than expected. Longevity is a factor that you need to consider when deciding what type of finish, in my area these finishes are most commonly installed.

Hello all. I have a 22 year old gunite pool that has two cracks and i think needs to be replastered. I live in the south east (Charlotte) and was wondering when is the best time to get the replastering, crack repair, and tile work done. Is there a time of year that's cheaper than another? Also Im very handy, should I attempt to repair the cracks myself? You can see them in the pictures in the corner of the stairs, and under the skimmer. Thanks
You can repair cracks yourself depending on how serious they are. If you’re losing water it sounds like a structural crack. But I might advise having a contractor do it while they’re doing the plaster refinishing.

Here’s my thread where I did some of that recently

Are the new finishes any good? I've seen the Pebble Tech and a few others on YouTube.
there is such a wide range of finishes these days. Pebble finishes can be rough which some people like and others not.
I put in Wet Edge Primera Stone which is a pebble finish but they polish it before filling with water so it is a smooth finish, this is on upper range of finishes. Hydrazzo is a similar finish by another mfg.

See the video below - it is a good overview of various types of finishes that are on the market today. While this is specific to Wet Edge, other mfgs have similar products, just different marketing names. Once you decide on the type of finish you want and fits your budget then you can look at different mfg products to compare apples to apples

Wet Edge Technologies – various types of plaster – overview of all products

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.