Replacing single speed with VSP, how to handle spa vs pool modes?

timboslicetwicenice

Apr 2, 2023
Orlando, FL
Hello - I've got a Hayward Superpump II that's controlled by a Hayward AquaLogic panel, and I'm replacing it with a Pentair Superflo VSP. The panel handles turning off the pump when the valves are turning when switching between spa and pool modes. That's simple enough with a single speed pump, but I'm not sure how to configure the automation/pump to go between it's routine schedule when in pool mode, and a fixed higher speed when using the spa.

I'm not familiar with how Hayward handles automation, but I'm a programmer so I feel like I could connect dots if given enough information.

There may be an elegant way to get the Hayward and Pentair equipment to talk to one another via RS485, but if not, controlling pump speeds via the Aqualogic relays may be a suitable alternative (and ignoring/not using any programs on the pump itself).

I used a similar approach to control my Calimar VS pump via a Jandy iAqualink system (because I didn't want to spend $2k on a Jandy pump when the $600 Calimar could get the job done). My setup is described here:

Also attached the wiring diagram.

Again, there may be more-elegant ways to do this, and I'm not familiar with the Aqualogic controller (but overall functionality is probably ~comparable to Aqualink). It's also necessary to have enough relay slots available in your system to control the desired # of speeds.

Attachments

• Relays.JPG
    Relays.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 9
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.