Regret increasing CYA to 80

I totally regret increasing my CYA from 40 to 80. SLAM 8 gallons of bleach is not fun vs just using 3. I already went through 15 gallons just to keep the FC at 28 for the past couple of days. 😭
You should only increase it to 80 if you are being diligent about normal chlorine levels. What happened? If you log your test results in pool math it’ll help diagnose problems.

Reactions: Newdude
You should only increase it to 80 if you are being diligent about normal chlorine levels. What happened? If you log your test results in pool math it’ll help diagnose problems.
Here's the story. Everything was fine and dandy. I had crystal-clear water, and all levels were perfect. The pool has a severe calcium build-up from high PH beginning of the season and random metal staining from the ledge umbrella, so I decided to try out Scaletec Plus treatment to see if it would remove the scaling and stains. I had to lower the FC to 1 - 2 ppm, and it stayed there for a week then added algaecide (I used bioguard algae all 60) per direction, which I did. The pool completely went milky and cloudy the day after I added the algaecide. The scale and stain didn't go away, so I said screw it, I'm gonna SLAM the pool so we can get back to swimming and deal with the scale next pool season. Opened up Pool Math, and bam!, 8 gallons of bleach are needed. Walked out of Walmart with 20 gallons and am now on to the 15th bottle. The pool cleared up after the 3rd day of SLAM. Holy Crud, what a workout.

Here's the story. Everything was fine and dandy. I had crystal-clear water, and all levels were perfect. The pool has a severe calcium build-up from high PH beginning of the season and random metal staining from the ledge umbrella, so I decided to try out Scaletec Plus treatment to see if it would remove the scaling and stains. I had to lower the FC to 1 - 2 ppm, and it stayed there for a week then added algaecide (I used bioguard algae all 60) per direction, which I did. The pool completely went milky and cloudy the day after I added the algaecide. The scale and stain didn't go away, so I said screw it, I'm gonna SLAM the pool so we can get back to swimming and deal with the scale next pool season. Opened up Pool Math, and bam!, 8 gallons of bleach are needed. Walked out of Walmart with 20 gallons and am now on to the 15th bottle. The pool cleared up after the 3rd day of SLAM. Holy Crud, what a workout.
That algaecide probably has the metals in that caused your staining or will make it worse. Stay away from that stuff.

You understand the SLAM has three specific criteria you need to meet before it done? Just want to make sure. If you don’t follow through you’ll be back at square one.

Reactions: reggiehammond
That algaecide probably has the metals in that caused your staining or will make it worse. Stay away from that stuff.

You understand the SLAM has three specific criteria you need to meet before it done? Just want to make sure. If you don’t follow through you’ll be back at square one.

Fortunately, Bioguard Algae All 60 does not contain metals, though Bioguard does have others, like their Banish product, that do contain metals (copper).

Algaecides like Algae All 60 (ie polyquats) can react with some sequestrants resulting in a cloudy pool.

Reactions: Newdude
Fortunately, Bioguard Algae All 60 does not contain metals, though Bioguard does have others, like their Banish product, that do contain metals (copper).

Algaecides like Algae All 60 (ie polyquats) can react with some sequestrants resulting in a cloudy pool.
Oh snap.. so that cloudiness wasn't from Algae? hahah I didn't see any signs of algae either the day before. I was all confused. I was always told that cloudly pool = algae. 😭

Oh snap.. so that cloudiness wasn't from Algae? hahah I didn't see any signs of algae either the day before. I was all confused. I was always told that cloudly pool = algae. 😭
It could be something other than algae if you put something that causes cloudiness. If you didn’t add anything, it’s probably algae.

Not knowing what’s in Scaletec Plus, it’s hard to say. The way you describe it, it’s certainly suspicious.

You are correct that most of the time cloudy pool = algae. 👍

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.