Reducing TA

That is not the way to think of it ... you cannot do it all at once.

Just lower the pH to 7.2 or so, aerate to bring the pH back up and repeat until the TA is where you want it.
Generally there is no reason to actively try to lower the TA, but follow the process in Pool School if you want to.

Typically, if one has pool water in the upper 7 pH range (~7.8 or so) and typical alkalinity values, you can lower your TA by about 10-12ppm per cycle (7.8 -> 7.2) without fear of any damage. Do note though that, as water temperatures cool, the aeration process that outgasses CO2 from the water takes longer so it will take more time for the water to go form 7.2 back up to 7.8. When I reduce TA (which is not very often), I typically cycle between 7.6 --> 7.2 --> 7.6, etc, etc. That will consume about 8-10ppm per cycle but the cycles take less time for the aeration to cause the pH to rise back up again. It works a little better because the process of lowering TA typically takes days and, because I have high evaporation rates, I'm fighting against fill water that has a TA of ~100-120ppm.

Being in FL, you get a good amount of rainfall and so that should help since rainwater is naturally very low in TA. If you can, let mother nature help you out by draining some pool water and refilling with rainwater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.