Redoing basic system with Intelliflo3 or Intellipro3

olimpiada

Apr 24, 2023
Cameron Park, CA
Hi all! Long time reader here , but just now decided to post since I need some advice.

My pump motor went out and rather than just replacing that old single speed pump.
My old setup was on a smart timer controlled and scheduled via phone app so I don't have to worry about daylight savings time and my time of use plan.

Things I need/want:
The ability to control and schedule my pump from my phone. (if there's a way to do this without a smart device to adjust for daylight savings time and other things (winter schedule, summer schedule, please let me know)
I would like a swg for convenience.
The ability to schedule one valve actuator to run the pool sweep on a schedule.

Pumps I'm considering:

Intellipro3 or the Intelliflo3 with I/O Board since these are the only 2 I see that have wifi built in.

Questions I have: (I was on hold with Pentair for about 45 mins and gave up waiting.)
Just seems like they are advertising the pump with built in limited automation without the need for a separate system. Did I understand that correctly?
Can the I/O Board control a SWG without the need for the SWG controller board?
Can the I/O Board control a valve actuator?
Out of those pumps, which would you choose and why?
Are there any other pumps that have a reliable wifi/smart setup that would be cheaper than this option?

O,

Normally, IntelliPro and IntelliFlo have different wet ends, but the IntelliPro3 and IntelliFlo3 appear to be identical to me. Both have the same electronics ends..

You can control a SWCG by turning the AC power on and off using one of the pumps relays, but you can't control the output of the cell nor get salt reading.

You could use one of the relays in the pump to turn a valve, but not directly. You'd have to build a little actuator power supply and trigger it with the relay in the pump. You need a circuit like this..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: olimpiada
Thanks so much for the quick response.
So basically, for the SWG, use the controller it comes with for the output %, but hook it up to the relay of the intelliflow/pro pump to turn it on while pump is running.

Last questions, hopefully, my system consists of a pool roughly around 18000 gallons and I believe the previous home owners decided to put an old 1hp motor to run everything including a polaris 360 and small waterfall feature. This lasted around 14 years until today it finally died. Is it overkill for me to get the intelliflo3/pro3 just because I want it's wifi capabilities? or is it good to get a higher rated pump running at a much lower rpm anyways since the motor will last longer (theoretically) since it's not being taxed as much.

O,

I am in the camp that says it is impossible to overkill when talking about VS pump size..

A VS pump is really a Variable Horsepower pump, you just adjust it to the HP you need.

The larger the pump the more water it can move at a lower RPM, the lower the RPM, the quieter the pump will be.

I have three old IntelliFlo pumps at three pool which run 24/7, mostly at about 1200 RPM. They have been running for about 10 years and I only wish I had converted to VS pumps sooner. To run 24/7 costs me less than $20 bucks a month.

I love them...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: bradgray
Intellipro3 or the Intelliflo3 with I/O Board since these are the only 2 I see that have wifi built in.
Wifi is available on all IntelliFlo/Pro models. The I/O is not required for this feature.
Just seems like they are advertising the pump with built in limited automation without the need for a separate system. Did I understand that correctly?
Yep.
Can the I/O Board control a SWG without the need for the SWG controller board?
Jim is correct. The pump will supply the power needed. If using an IntelliChlor, the cell will have its own pilot features and can largely govern itself with minor tweaks by you now and then.
Can the I/O Board control a valve actuator?
Nope. Not natively in the sense we usually discuss it. After all - who would buy the IntelliCenter if the pump could do it all? 😉

Jim gave a great diagram for this if you wanted to get handsy.
Out of those pumps, which would you choose and why?
IntelliFlo3. They're essentially the same but it's going to be easier to shop parts down the road for the pump with the larger marketshare. Plus, the black ages poorly in the sun. Ask me to identify the age of a Hayward vs a Pentair pump and I'll subtract 2 years from my guess on the Hayward because they all look older than they are (they're all black).
Are there any other pumps that have a reliable wifi/smart setup that would be cheaper than this option?
Nothing that will work as reliably and smoothly as Pentair's. They've spent gobs on R&D on this new lineup. You're in the right place.

Wifi is available on all IntelliFlo/Pro models. The I/O is not required for this feature.

Yep.

Jim is correct. The pump will supply the power needed. If using an IntelliChlor, the cell will have its own pilot features and can largely govern itself with minor tweaks by you now and then.

Nope. Not natively in the sense we usually discuss it. After all - who would buy the IntelliCenter if the pump could do it all? 😉

Jim gave a great diagram for this if you wanted to get handsy.

IntelliFlo3. They're essentially the same but it's going to be easier to shop parts down the road for the pump with the larger marketshare. Plus, the black ages poorly in the sun. Ask me to identify the age of a Hayward vs a Pentair pump and I'll subtract 2 years from my guess on the Hayward because they all look older than they are (they're all black).

Nothing that will work as reliably and smoothly as Pentair's. They've spent gobs on R&D on this new lineup. You're in the right place.
Thanks for all this! Looks like i missed out on the intelliflo3 from amazon for 1500 by one day. Any suggestions on where to purchase one?

Ok, I ordered one. Thanks! Any suggestions on a decently priced SWG for this setup? Looking for longevity as well if possible.
Pentair's includes controls on the cell itself to regulate production. Every other cell I'm aware of will require an additional timer to control production ratios. This is what I was referring to earlier with the IntelliChlor.

Pentair's includes controls on the cell itself to regulate production. Every other cell I'm aware of will require an additional timer to control production ratios. This is what I was referring to earlier with the IntelliChlor.
Ok, thanks again! I’ll look into staying with the Pentair brand then.
Do you have experience with the IntelliChlor vs the iChlor? Like, is one salt cell more reliable over time than the other? Will i lose any capabilities choosing one over the other?

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After reading this and comparing it to the read about the intellichlor, It seem like iChlor is newer and itegrates with the intelliflo pump better. It also states that it can function at lower flow rates. Unfortunately, the iChlor30 only goes up to 30,000 gallons (TFP 15,000 gallons) where the intellichlor has 20, 40, and 60 but doesn't integrate directly with the intelliflo3 (flow .

I wish it were more straightforward lol. I'm awaiting the delivery of my intelliflo3 and now I need to order a salt water system for it. What would you guys do in my situation?

iChlor 30 - compatible with intelliflo3 with flow sensor (com port), can work down to 20GPM, but salt cells do not last long according to reviews.
Intellichlor40 - no flow sensor, not sure how low of a flow is needed to run, and salt cells seem to be more robust vs the iChlor system.

Sorry, just don't want to make a bad decision when spending this type of money. Thanks so much for everyone's input! Much appreciated.

I would use an Intellichlor. I believe the I/O board on the Intelliflo3 will power the IC on and off. You just have to adjust the %generation at the IC.

There are lower budget Pentair automation systems that let you make SWCG adjustments, etc.

The IC will work down to the same flow rate an IntelliChlor would.

I would use an Intellichlor. I believe the I/O board on the Intelliflo3 will power the IC on and off. You just have to adjust the %generation at the IC.

There are lower budget Pentair automation systems that let you make SWCG adjustments, etc.

The IC will work down to the same flow rate an IntelliChlor would.
This.

The integration is the same - all the pump is doing is supplying DC voltage.

Intellichlor is a better cell. And it does have a flow switch. 👍

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.