Recommend Solar Cover

They come in different thicknesses which may help protect them from snags/rips, but does nothing to improve performance. All covers stop evaporation which is where 70% of your heat loss comes from. Tomorrow, it's seen as a 'gain' in temperature, because you lost less with the cover. Solar covers do not create heat, ignore them all claiming so with this one better than that one. Anywho, seran wrap would work just as well as a thick cover if it didn't bunch up. Lol.

No matter the thickness, all the bubbles are the same (flimsy) and is the typical fail point. When you spent double+ on a thick cover but the bubbles popped after a year or two, you'll be miffed you didn't buy a cheapo one.
So we rec thin covers for being easier to manage, and as cheap as you can find, then consider it disposable.

The cover needs to be out of the sun of its going to be off the pool all day, especially in TX. My cover would reel up (wet, obviously) and the water in between the layers would boil and steam on hit days. So find a way to cover for the cover if you don't have a shady spot to store it when it's off the pool. Any tarp or such works fine, or if you're getting a reel, they make specific covers for that too.

Buy the smallest rectangle that covers all your curves and it trims easily to fit with quality scissors or shears.

I had the 'clear' cover and it was hideous IMO. It called my attention from anywhere in the yard, even if I was doing something else like mowing the lawn. There was this big white thing out the corner of my eye that didn't look like it belonged. The blue one will look like water at a glance.

Reactions: lardo5150
2 seasons. That’s all you can expect out of them with good care. Also, if you even wave a pair scissors within 10ft of the cover, the warranty self-destructs and is void. So we can’t emphasize enough to find the cheapest one possible and ignore all the marketing.

Reactions: mknauss
$150 or $160. Shop around. You can split the ends 3 inches each and a standard 18x36 will work fine. Double check your pool will fit in that footprint though. Freeform/kidney pools get tricky to measure sometimes.

I would need something big. My pool is 35 by 18.6.
One on Amazon that size would cost $350

Two pieces, each half the size, might cost less. And as an added benefit, they'll be easier to remove, replace, and store than a one-piece cover. But also see this: Pool Covers to Retain Heat

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That you will want beefy. Even a thin cover has a good deal of weight to it when wet, and the 18ft span (20 really because it has to be bigger than the pool) is begging for sag.

Several members have good things to say about This one. (Not sure about the width that its more than 18, *for* an 18 ft pool, so doublecheck the deets).

Rockys makes heavy duty models but the price reflects that unfortunately.

This company Stormaster on Amazon makes an inexpensive cover cover that I got for the winter, but I’m going to make much more use of it year round. The shallow end of my new cover last year (which is the part that’s on the outside of the reel and in the sun when reeled up) was destroyed by year end, while the deep end is still fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.