ezgz

Oct 23, 2021
London, Ontario
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hey Everyone,

I had a search around but couldn't quite ascertain the information I was looking for - apologies if this is/was asked or written down elsewhere.

I got a free dreammaker big ez - its been running on 120V for a few months - its great, but

- it rarely turns off (seems like its on almost always)
- its noisier than my friends Jacuzzi
- it cools quickly (after an hour we'd loose about 10f)
- it heats slowly (it took about 24h to get from 67 to 104)?
- it consumes between 15 and 20 kw/day

None of these are complaints. This hand-me-down hot tub actually working really well.

What I want to know is if these are reasonable observations or if I can expect it to do better by replacing the heater/pump or rewiring it to 240 (or doing something else).

Thanks in advance everyone!

Re-wiring it for 240V would allow you to upgrade the heater to a 4kW model but you need to have the appropriate electrical service run to the area. Usually something like a 50-60Amp service panel with the correct wire size back to the main panel and GFCI breakers. But a 4kW heater just means the tub will heat faster … if you’re losing too much heat, then you’ll likely be in the same boat - energy is energy is energy. It doesn’t matter how you get it there.

For heat loss you need to give us more details about how this hot tub is covered when not in use and a look inside the tub for insulation. It may be possible to add more insulation to the cabinet to help retain heat. Chances are, like most tubs, they just blew in or sprayed whatever foam insulation they could at the factory and it is what it is.

Some tubs are able to be 120v or 240v - finding the exact instruction manual is the first step in investigating that.
Some older tubs have terrible insulation & sometimes it just gets destroyed over time as Matt mentioned so beefing that up would go a long way in your climate.
(Edit- this looks to be a roto molded tub which likely has spray insulation- still worth inspecting to confirm its all covered)
Many tubs that are 110v cannot run the jets & produce heat at the same time - mine can’t.
From the looks of it (if this link is the same tub) you can simply change your configuration to 240v & 50 amps to allow the heater to operate on both high (jets running) & low. When in the 120v 15amp or 240v 30amp configurations it essentially throttles itself.
Check out page 6👇*note this may not be the exact manual
In a cooler climate it is recommended to go the 240v route for the reasons you listed. I am able to get away with a 110v tub with my mild winters with only a few instances of the things you listed happening but in Canada I can see it getting really annoying.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
You people are incredible - I love this place!

I'll have to wait til spring to make any changes at this point, but I'll chat with the misses and get it put back on 240v. Hindsight being 20-20, I'm kicking myself for going 110 - we had 240 originally but we figured it be easier to put in a 120 plug than rewire the tub. We were trying keep it easy so we could decide if we wanted to keep it - unsurprisingly, easy is not better.

I think with this info we'll probably make some changes and keep it.

@JoyfulNoise and @Mdragger88 would you be able to recommend:

- what kind of insulation should I use to fill it in more (the panels just unscrew)
- where should I get a replacement cover
- what 4kW heater should I get?

Thanks again!

- what kind of insulation should I use to fill it in more (the panels just unscrew)
- where should I get a replacement cover
- what 4kW heater should I get?

Never insulted a tub so I wouldn't know. I would suggest that if it possible to add insulation board to all the removable panels, then that would be a good place to start. Also, depending on where the tub is located at your house, insulating the ground under the tub might be helpful too but that can't be easily done after the fact.

For a cover and heater I would start with the manufacturer and ask them. Since the instructions call out a 4kW heater for 240V installations, then they probably have an upgrade kit for your specific model tub. That would be the best way to go. Covers may be more generic so you might see what they say about those and then shop around on some of the spa store website and see what else is available. I would definitely suggest buying a cheap pool bubble cover that you can trim down to the exact interior outline of the tub and float that on the surface of the water when the tub is not in use. Anything you can do to arrest the evaporation of the water will help with heat retention and it will help to keep a larger top cover from getting very damp and moldy.

According to that manual (pages 12-14 there’s not much to changing it to 240v 50 amps (aside from the hard wiring requirements on your end).
A jumper, a dip switch & making the right connections.
I too have a roto molded tub with spray foam & mine looks pretty well coated, hopefully yours is the same. You still need access to stuff so no need to go too crazy. I’m sure @RDspaguy can recommend the right kind of foam to use if more is indeed needed.

Definitely start with the manufacturer for the cover. Their price may surprise you! My oem cover isn’t really any more expensive than one from a third party.
For aftermarket covers
Several here have been pleased with Beyond Nice

Hot Tub Covers & Replacement Spa Covers | BeyondNice

Find high-quality hot tub covers by brand or shape at BeyondNice! Our American-made spa covers are factory direct, ship free and include a 5-year warranty.
www.beyondnice.com
www.beyondnice.com

& The Cover Guy
www.thecoverguy.com

The Cover Guy™ - Hot Tub Covers and Hot Tub Accessories

The Cover Guy is one of the largest suppliers of hot tub covers, hot tub cover lifters, and hot tub accessories. Great quality items, and superior service.
www.thecoverguy.com
www.thecoverguy.com

Whatever u decide- make sure you check that your cores are sealed properly by pulling them completely out of the cover when u get it.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.