Really worth it to buy the recommended tests vs pool store computer test?

Jun 8, 2023
Indianapolis, Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been using my local pool store's WaterLink Solutions computer testing since we built our pool three years ago. Now that I've found this site, I'm wondering if it really is worth it to buy my own testing kit. If I'm testing multiple times a week, won't I have to buy reagent refills often (and at the very least at the beginning of every summer)? I buy very little from the pool store. I just use their test results and treat with products from WalMart/Amazon based on the Pool Math app suggestions. Do you think the WaterLink Solutions test is unreliable enough that it's worth it for me to buy my own kit and constant refills? How often would you say you have to buy the refills? How much on average do you spend per season (May-September for me) on testing supplies? Thanks for the feedback. I'm just worried that the expense and my "eyeballing" the results may not be a better option than the free digital results down the road.

Your choice, it is your pool. We will only provide guidance based on pool owners own testing using a proper test kit. If $50 a year for new reagents is significant versus your pool enjoyment, then do the store testing. Use their recommendations also. We will be here when you decide to go down the proper path.

Reactions: proavia
IMHO the answer is "yes, absolutely worth it". The pool store testing equipment is almost guaranteed to be contaminated and inaccurate. As well, it is a known fact that a lot of pool stores (probably yours included) are using that 'testing' to try to sell you stuff. Bottom line, there's a high high likelihood that those test results are woefully inaccurate. Personally, I've done a fair bit of testing using my K-2006 kit vs the pool store using the same water sample, their results are always way off.

Regarding reagents, our season here is May - September or so as well, I spend very little on reagents. I'd have to go look but I'm sure a couple of mine are expired. Ignoring the expiration dates just a bit the reagents for me will easily last a couple season if not longer (meaning: I'm replacing them because I'm after better accuracy, not because I run out). When I have replaced them I think I've spend about $30 over 3 season....not much considering the cost of Liquid Chlorine and other chems. The right thing to do would be to replace them all at the start of the season for around $50, again, not much. I believe the TFP web store kicks off each season with a sale on refills so probably even cheaper than that to get all new chems for your test kit.

TLDR: You're overthinking it IMHO, get the test kit and you'll never look back, 100% worth it!

Reactions: Vincenzo47
computer vs real world chemistry

what are the chances that the computer is performing proper water chemistry analysis? ~50%
what are the chances that real world chemistry is performing proper water chemistry analysis? ~90%

owning a pool is an expense. you decide on what those expenses are and how you want to maintain water chemistry. if you don't use a test kit, you don't need a tfp account, if you don't have a test kit and create a tfp account, you need tfp assistance and without a test kit, you can't get help. being here is all about the first step, the test kit.

choose a path.

OK, I'm looking over my pool store's test results from last summer, and I know that chlorine numbers can fluctuate quickly, but shouldn't numbers like calcium hardness and cyanuric acid take awhile to change? Here are some interesting things I found according to the pool store's computer test:

Calcium hardness went from 276 to 77 in 31 hours--??
Cyanuric acid went from 80 to 1 in 7 days--??
Cyanuric acid went from 38 to 63 in less than 24 hours--??
Total iron went from 0 to 1.8 in 24 hours--??

Is there any way these changes are even chemically possible?

OK, I'm looking over my pool store's test results from last summer, and I know that chlorine numbers can fluctuate quickly, but shouldn't numbers like calcium hardness and cyanuric acid take awhile to change? Here are some interesting things I found according to the pool store's computer test:

If you drained all the water and filled it back up with different water it’s possible, but not very likely. That’s why TFP doesn’t recommend trusting them.

Reactions: dBsooner

CH dropping 200 in 31 hours? No. (Unless you did a full drain and replace.)
CYA dropping 79 in 7 days? No. (Unless you did a full drain and replace. Or had an absolute mess of a bacteria problem which would have given you a nasty ammonia situation.)
CYA raising 38 to 63 in 24 hours? Maybe. If you had just added CYA within a few days before that, it can take a bit for it to register. As long as a week depending on how you added it. Sock method should have onyl taken 24-48 hours.
Iron: No, unless you drained and filled with some water that was super saturated with iron. You would have noticed this as the water would have likely been red during fill.

You just found the answer to why TFP doesn’t use pool store test results. 👍

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So. You clearly weren't born yesterday so I'll let the results you were given speak from themselves. But here's some more food for thought.

Those 'free tests' are designed to sell you chemicals, the true reason the pool store exists. My guy was not shy that each cartridge for the machine cost $11 (then). How long do you think they will test your water when you don't take their advice ? Certainly not long if you're testing everyday like you need to.

If you go weekly, and at different times you'll get by with different employees for a while not knowing any better but they'll remember you soon enough.

With infrequent testing to from poolstore to not wear out your welcome, you'll end up with issues and need to run an overnight test at sundown and sunup. They simply won't be open to help. Then the ensuing SLAM needed to clear the issues will need testing every 2 to 3 hours to maintain the proper FC level at first. Even if they'd test for you without you buying shocks, floccs, or other crocks, are you really going to run to the pool store many times for days ? They'll tell you not to come back by lunch on day 1.

You did good. The ability to test (accurately at that), when the need arises, will ironically keep you far away from Snakeoilville, and the kit will pay for itself many, MANY times over.

Almost forgot..... With learning your pool and how it behaves by frequently testing at first, here's the payoff. How Clear is TFP Clear?.

Regular Joe's/Jane's who can hold their own against any brochure in the land, without spending thousands to stage the perfect shot. No sir/ma'am. They just waltzed out back and snapped a pic with an iPhone 12 on the first try.

Except for me. The TFP sparkle ruins the TFP clear pic attempt.

ezgif-2-d23c8ff959-min.gif

Glad you bought the test kit. When I was reading your original couple posts, all I was thinking about was how much your time and gas are worth that it would take to go to the pool store fairly often compared to being able to do it in the quiet of the morning while sipping a cup of coffee while the rest of the family is still asleep? (That's my typical testing time.)

Reactions: MITBeta and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.