Gold Supporter
Jun 24, 2022
Donna, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am ready to get off the Leslie merry-go-round and move to the TFP philosophy. Walmart has pool chlorine for $5 a gallon. I plan to buy them out.
I am fighting CYA problems. I drained half the water last week and that got CYA down to 100. I tested this morning and it is considerably higher than a few days ago.
Here are my specs:
pool 37500 gallons by an online calculator, water meter not possible
filter Hayward Pro-Guard, model DE 7220, serial 2111407050197003
chlorine feeder Pentair, model 300
backwash valve Hayward
pump Star, model 025191, 1.5 HP
chemistry
FC 5
CC 2
CYA >100
pH 7.8
TA 120
CH 500

Reactions: newdude
B,

Great decision! You'll get LOT's help quick on here. Looks like you've read up some on TFP but please review this if you haven't already done so Pool Care Basics. Also, this may be helpful. How are you testing? If they are from a recommended test kit you have need to SLAM after you get the CYA in range.

If not from a recommended test kit, wait 'till you get a reliable test kit before doing anything major. Lastly, you should perform the dilution CYA test so you can get a better idea of how much water to drain.

Hope this helps get you started.

Chris

Reactions: BoHpool
I have been reading and watching videos. That is why I am ready to make the switch. :)
I have a Taylor test kit, it has the size large reagents. It does not contain R-0870 powder. I did the dilution test, and it still reads way high, I plan on draining most of the pool and cleaning the filter to remove as much CYA as possible.

My plan is to drain the pool, clean the filter, refill the pool, and start using liquid chlorine. Any suggestions or additions I should incorporate into my plan?

I recommend getting to know your next purchase. It's a must-have in Texas, in my opinion.

I have been reading and watching videos. That is why I am ready to make the switch. :)
I have a Taylor test kit, it has the size large reagents. It does not contain R-0870 powder. I did the dilution test, and it still reads way high, I plan on draining most of the pool and cleaning the filter to remove as much CYA as possible.
B,

Looks like you're on the right track. Just to be sure though can you please tell me which kit you are using? The one needed contains R-0870 powder. These are the only two kits we recommend: Test Kits Compared. We don't sell them or anything else for that matter so you always can be assured you get the straight scoop on pool care.

Chris

I recommend getting to know your next purchase. It's a must-have in Texas, in my opinion.

Corporate has been toying with the idea of a SWG for a couple of years. I think they will do it. Maybe next spring, who knows.

We are a 55 and over park in the RGV. I took over pool maintenance after the last guy quit, in the middle of June. The pools are in pretty good shape except for the CYA. They are bright and clear with no visible algae or grossness on the waterline tiles.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
B,

Glad to hear. But 2 ppm cc indicates you may have algae that will cause problems sooner or later. I would run an oclt test with the kit you have then repeat it when your new kit arrives. If the new FAS DPD test confirms you have algae you'll need to SLAM and you'll need the new kit for that.

Chris

We are a 55 and over park in the RGV. I took over pool maintenance after the last guy quit, in the middle of June
You may need to follow public pool protocols which are entirely different. You also may not because Texas. Having high CYA is a good sign because many municipalities allow 0. So either your county is hands off with regulations, or the last guy was doing things he wasn't 'sposed to

B,

Glad to hear. But 2 ppm cc indicates you may have algae that will cause problems sooner or later. I would run an oclt test with the kit you have then repeat it when your new kit arrives. If the new FAS DPD test confirms you have algae you'll need to SLAM and you'll need the new kit for that.

Chris
I have been adding calcium hypochlorite for my FC and I didn't really have a plan. I have a plan now and will keep the FC level around 5 till I can get the CYA under control. I am trying to avoid any product that has CYA.

Reactions: setsailsoon
You may need to follow public pool protocols which are entirely different. You also may not because Texas. Having high CYA is a good sign because many municipalities allow 0. So either your county is hands off with regulations, or the last guy was doing things he wasn't 'sposed to
I always say we are more north Mexico than south Texas. It is a never-ending debate about what type of pool the park has. I'm not a CPO, we have a pool company that comes once a week and we operate off their certification. I know he taught me to fill the tab feeder twice a day and run it at max output so I am pretty confident that that's where the CYA came from.

I was planning to use Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid but after reading the reviews from the last few months it appears they are having quality issues. Many reviewers say the product has no chlorine smell and does not raise their FC level. How much liquid chlorine will I need per week to keep my pool balanced?

How much liquid chlorine will I need per week to keep my pool balanced?
Download PoolMath, set up your info and go from there.

The pool essentials brand is 10% but chlorine starts degrading around 3 months. The bottles or boxes will have a Julian date on them. Google the Julian calander the first few times at the store until you just know by looking at it when picking the fresh stuff. Basically today is the 208th(?) Day of the year so something made today is labeled 22(year)208(day)XXXXXXXX(Other codes)

I drained the pool on 7/31/22. I finished filling it at about 1 AM. I added 4 LBS of calcium hypochlorite. I tested the water at about 5:30 AM on 8/1/22.
Previous:
FC 5
CC 2
CYA >100
pH 7.8
TA 120
CH 500
Today's results:
FC 1-2
CC I forgot
CYA <30
pH 7.2
TA 70
CH 240
So I seem to have lowered the CYA, perhaps too low. The calcium hardness is much better and I added 2 more LBS of calcium hydrochloride. I waiting for it to propagate through the system before testing again.
I don't know that I am able to go with liquid chlorine. We are a long way from big cities and it is hot here. It's in the mid-90s to 100 every day and I don't have climate-controlled storage. I understand this is a liquid chlorine forum but I would like to explore calcium hypochlorite as my sanitizer. If that is not acceptable here I will try to find another place to discuss it and continue t use this site for all other discussions. Thanks for the help so far.

Anything is acceptable, until it gets you in trouble. Using cal-hypo adds a certain % of calcium to your pool. So let's say you need 4ppm of FC each day, well, you'll be adding a similar ppm of calcium. It won't take long to get calcium out of range, and you'll end up with calcium scaling.

The reason TFP recommends a SWCG or liquid chlorine is because neither adds other friends (calcium or CYA). It's not that cal-hypo, tabs, etc can't be used. It's just that they can't be used continuously, unless you're comfortable emptying your pool each year and starting over.

Common bleach (unscented, no additives) can be picked up just about anywhere. Liquid chlorine can be found at most big box stores, awl-mart, ace hardware, etc.

Walmart

Says in-stock in Weslaco, TX Wal-Mart.

In-stock in Weslaco, TX according to Ace's website, though costs more than Wal-Mart.

Hope that's helpful! :)

You can also use bleach from any market, as long as it doesn't have any additives, so just Sodium Hypochlorite as the active ingredient.

I used this sometimes before switching to a SWG. Its 7.5% Sodium Hypochlorite so not as strong as pool chlorine, but not bad. Became hard to find recently.

Downside is since its likely lower concentration you'll need more of it. But maybe easier to find around you.

For now, you can use tablets for a while to get you CYA back up.

Randy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.