Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Salt & Swim 3C
Hi all, I want to redo the pipe setup for my "new to me" pool. Last year was year 1 and I replaced anything that was broken 1:1; i.e. Hayward Heater bombed, Hayward salt 'n' swim controller and cell bombed, and the sacrificial anode hadn't been changed since 2013. Honestly, the heater and salt controller were probably also that old. This year I want to fix the salt cell being before the heater. I was also thinking of installing a Hayward automatic chemical feeder to assist in pool startup and in case the cell dies and I can't get one for awhile. My main question revolves around knowing if the chemical feeder should be before or after the salt cell? Then, should it be online or off-line or in-line. Another tertiary question is does it matter where the sacrificial anode is? 18k gal salt pool in Chicago using a Hayward starclear filter

Hi all, I want to redo the pipe setup for my "new to me" pool. Last year was year 1 and I replaced anything that was broken 1:1; i.e. Hayward Heater bombed, Hayward salt 'n' swim controller and cell bombed, and the sacrificial anode hadn't been changed since 2013. Honestly, the heater and salt controller were probably also that old. This year I want to fix the salt cell being before the heater. I was also thinking of installing a Hayward automatic chemical feeder to assist in pool startup and in case the cell dies and I can't get one for awhile. My main question revolves around knowing if the chemical feeder should be before or after the salt cell? Then, should it be online or off-line or in-line. Another tertiary question is does it matter where the sacrificial anode is? 18k gal salt pool in Chicago using a Hayward starclear filter
By chemical feeder, do you mean chlorine feeder or acid? I don’t think many people use both so I’ll let someone else answer that issue, but can say the anode isn’t doing anything so you can skip it if you like.

Welcome to TFP.

What model heater are we discussing?

Chemical feeders with Trichlor tablets eventually damage heaters. Even with a Jandy check valve before it, which is not chemical resistant, unless you never turn your pump off, the solution from that feeder will work its way back into the heater and do a lot of damage if you use it to feed chlorine.

Better to put tablets in a floater when you must use them.

Reactions: 1poolman1 and jkarn
By chemical feeder, do you mean chlorine feeder or acid? I don’t think many people use both so I’ll let someone else answer that issue, but can say the anode isn’t doing anything so you can skip it if you like.
Trichlor tabs

Welcome to TFP.

What model heater are we discussing?

Chemical feeders with Trichlor tablets eventually damage heaters. Even with a Jandy check valve before it, which is not chemical resistant, unless you never turn your pump off, the solution from that feeder will work its way back into the heater and do a lot of damage if you use it to feed chlorine.

Better to put tablets in a floater when you must use them.
Hayward H-Series natural gas. I do turn my pump off at night. So, you're saying skip the auto chlorinator and just use the floater or granulated as needed?

Hayward H-Series natural gas. I do turn my pump off at night. So, you're saying skip the auto chlorinator and just use the floater or granulated as needed?
Yup.

Oh, and the anode isn't doing anything? Like, remove it completely?
Don’t have to remove it but no reason to spend money replacing it either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.