Raypak r406a won't spark

If you can't hear the spark by the igniter, then it's most likely a bad board. If you can hear the spark but no ignition it's either a clogged gas tube to the igniter or a corroded igniter assemble or, you have no gas to the unit. Pull and visually inspect the igniter assembly. You can also remove the igniter tube from the gas valve and blow into it and see if it's obstructed.

If you can't hear the spark by the igniter, then it's most likely a bad board. If you can hear the spark but no ignition it's either a clogged gas tube to the igniter or a corroded igniter assemble or, you have no gas to the unit. Pull and visually inspect the igniter assembly. You can also remove the igniter tube from the gas valve and blow into it and see if it's obstructed.
I can't hear the spark at the pilot, other than very briefly once or twice since starting to troubleshoot. I hear (and can feel) clicking at the board, I think at the ignitor contact area but hard to be sure. No spark visible there.

So I cleaned everything I could with a steel wire brush. The only area with some rust was where the ground wire connects near the gas valve. Tried to turn it on and got nowhere, so tried putting a little pressure on the relays thinking that it wasn't a good connection. I got one set of ignition clicking at the pilot, but didn't light, and I couldn't replicate it. I took the board back out to see if my soldering job was not up to par, and for some reason I noticed the CLK pins, and thought of how occasionally there was a brief flash of the CLK code. I took a look at the back side and the soldering job there didn't look too good. In the attached pic they are the two leftmost pins on the bottom row of pins.
(In retrospect I think those were my doing. I went back to an old post of mine from 2017 where I had a CLK problem and fixed it by supposedly resoldering. I don't remember desoldering them, however, in fact I didn't even have a way to do so at the time, nor did I have a powerful enough sdering iron. Apparently I had just added some solder to the already bad joint. This time around I had a proper soldering iron and desoldering tool.)
Desoldered and resoldered them, put the board back in, and it started up right away!
Anyway, thanks for all the advice, and happy swimming!PXL_20220627_164725257.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.