Raypak heat pump and pump install settings

Therapydoc

Apr 29, 2023
Missouri
I am finishing up installing our pool equipment and plan to put liner in this weekend. I’m needing assistance with the initial settings for the pool equipment. It’s a 20x40 with one return and two aquagenies. Pump is a Hayward 2.25 hp super pump xe and heat pump is a 8450ti-e-hc. All plumbing is 2” if that matters. No hot tub or anything of that sort.

First question is since this is a variable speed pump what are the most ideal settings for running the pump, as in what percent at what time of the day. Most of our swimming will be typical younger kids, early afternoon.

Second question is, what should I do for install settings on the heat pump. Pump control I believe I should select variable speed. 3 way valve I believe should be no bc I operate it manually with Jandy valve. And aux control is No bc I have none.

Third question, do I need to redirect any water from the heat pump with bypass valve? Manual shows I should have a flow of 80 gpm on pump but have not started yet to confirm.

Thanks everyone for your assistance

Attachments

• IMG_1708.png
    IMG_1708.png
    422.5 KB · Views: 7
First question is since this is a variable speed pump what are the most ideal settings for running the pump, as in what percent at what time of the day. Most of our swimming will be typical younger kids, early afternoon.
How do you plan to chlorinate the pool? The pump is run for a reason, first to create/distribute your chlorine, second to skim. You need to find the pump speeds and time that are needed to achieve those things.
Second question is, what should I do for install settings on the heat pump. Pump control I believe I should select variable speed. 3 way valve I believe should be no bc I operate it manually with Jandy valve. And aux control is No bc I have none.
I do not have experience with a heat pump -- lets ask @ajw22
Third question, do I need to redirect any water from the heat pump with bypass valve? Manual shows I should have a flow of 80 gpm on pump but have not started yet to confirm.
Again -- lets ask Allen.

Is your pump a VS pump?

Are you connecting your pump to the HP RS-485 control connection?

The Raypak manual provides no details on what model pumps it can control.

Yes, you should install a bypass valve in case your flow exceeds the HP maximun.

Reactions: mknauss
I have the bypass already installed. Not sure how much I need to bypass.

I don’t think the raypak actually controls the pump, just have the set the heat pump to jive with settings on the water pump. Water pump is variable speed.

I assume the rs-485 is an automation controller, I don’t plan to use any wifi or automation and plan to do it manually at the equipment pad.

Great. Will you have automation with it? The pump you showed above does not come up as a VS pump when I search.
Edit -- I see no automation. So you will need a device to remove the power from the Aquarite when the VS pump is scheduled to be off. You can use a basic timer, a wifi switch, or a current sensor switch.
You will need to determine how long the pump must run at what rpm to generate the chlorine you will need. After that, you will need to determine what skimming needs you will have.

Last edited:
Do most people completely turn off the pump over night or is it best to let it run at like 20 percent ? Does the salt chlorinator continuously run if it senses no water flow ? There’s a switch inline that I assume tells the computer the amount of salt in system but I guess it doesn’t tell it to stop when not flowing.

Sorry for all the newbie questions. First time having a pool and want to make sure I do it right.

Here is link to pump manual Is the super pump xe. My understanding is it can be set to run at different percentage at different times of the day. Maybe that’s not a true variable speed ?

I have the bypass already installed. Not sure how much I need to bypass.

If you have a VS pump you should not be running it at max RPMs to have max flow and have a need to bypass.

You will need to find a VS speed that the heat pump runs at and does not give a low flow error.

Once you get things running let’s discuss more.

I don’t think the raypak actually controls the pump, just have the set the heat pump to jive with settings on the water pump. Water pump is variable speed.
The Raypak HP has the capability to control VS pump speeds and actuators. But you are not hooking that stuff up so say NO to all of those optional features.

I assume the rs-485 is an automation controller, I don’t plan to use any wifi or automation and plan to do it manually at the equipment pad.
Ok, then keep it simple with the options on the HP.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.