Sep 5, 2023
Miami FL
Hi everyone,

I awoke this morning to discover that the water level was low (about 1” below tile). I immediately began adding water (the pump was not yet on). I set the water hose on a 1 hr timer and shuffled around the house. When I circled back around to check the pool, the water level was 4” lower.

Let me clarify, when I first began adding water, the pool was already about 4” too low. While the water hose was running, the water level still dropped faster than it could be added. There is no surface water visible around the pump, the filter or the heater/cooler. With no visible cracks and applying deductive reasoning, I feel like this is the main drain. Anyone?

IMG_4317.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,

I awoke this morning to discover that the water level was low (about 1” below tile). I immediately began adding water (the pump was not yet on). I set the water hose on a 1 hr timer and shuffled around the house. When I circled back around to check the pool, the water level was 4” lower.

Let me clarify, when I first began adding water, the pool was already about 4” too low. While the water hose was running, the water level still dropped faster than it could be added. There is no surface water visible around the pump, the filter or the heater/cooler. With no visible cracks and applying deductive reasoning, I feel like this is the main drain. Anyone?

View attachment 527650
Main drain is not an actual drain, like a sink drain. If that picture is where the water stops, suspect the light conduit. Could be the main drain line. A leak detection company would be a good call.

Reactions: SkipperLikesToFish
Hi everyone,

View attachment 527650
Is the pump on and is there a waste line that has water exiting? That’s a big leak to just be passively leaking.

Whats the green square 🟩?
If it stops after passing the light you may have your answer & go on to suspect the drain.
Is your yard wet anywhere?
What about around your equipment?
Can you show a picture of all the equipment & valves?

Main drain is not an actual drain, like a sink drain. If that picture is where the water stops, suspect the light conduit. Could be the main drain line. A leak detection company would be a good call.
I see, I took another picture and attached it - the waterline is below the pool light now by approx 8-9” and still draining. We put a silicone mat over the bottom drain, trying to slow the water release.

24 hours ago, we had a full pool that was fully operational, below is where we are now

Attachments

• IMG_4319.jpeg
    IMG_4319.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Whats the green square 🟩?
If it stops after passing the light you may have your answer & go on to suspect the drain.
Is your yard wet anywhere?
What about around your equipment?
Can you show a picture of all the equipment & valves?
No surface water is visible at all, we put a green silicone mat over the bottom drain trying to slow it down. As soon as the sun rises here, I will take a picture of the equipment. All of the equipment and the area surrounding it is dry.

Attachments

• IMG_4319.jpeg
    IMG_4319.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 3
Is the pump on and is there a waste line that has water exiting? That’s a big leak to just be passively leaking.
I agree, the pump is off and the pool water valve (along with the rest of the equipment is dry. No signs of water on the surface at all. I will post a picture of the equipment once it’s daylight here. This is a picture I just snapped of the waterline currently.

Attachments

• IMG_4319.jpeg
    IMG_4319.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 4
I agree, the pump is off and the pool water valve (along with the rest of the equipment is dry. No signs of water on the surface at all. I will post a picture of the equipment once it’s daylight here. This is a picture I just snapped of the waterline currently.
Are you very near a pond, stream, lake, ocean, etc? Curious if high water table opened the hydrostatic valve and then stuck open.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi everyone,

View attachment 527650
24 hours after first noticing the water level was dropping - see pics. As a couple of folks have mentioned on this thread, I’m leaning towards Hydrostatic Valve. Thoughts?

24 hours after first noticing the water level was dropping - see pics. As a couple of folks have mentioned on this thread, I’m leaning towards Hydrostatic Valve. Thoughts?
The water will be down to that location any minute so seems a good thing to check. Would also be good to have the drain pressure tested for a break. Something that large should be very easy to find.

If you’re ground water is high in your area (which is likely) you are going to want to get this remedied asap so you can get water back in the pool. Being completely empty can cause it to pop out of the ground. It is also bad for your plaster to dry out. Get a sprinkler set up to keep it wet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.