Question re: FC Usage in Green Pool

Update: Got home from work and tested. FC is 22ppm, so pool only lost 2-3ppm since this morning? Pool is clearing, deep green is gone, but water still has greenish tint. I vacuumed the entire pool and added 121oz of 8.5% bleach to keep FC as high as I think is safe. I am adding a little DE to the filter to see if that will also help... after seven full days of this I am seriously thinking about a floc treatment ;)

You don't need to do that. Floc isn't the answer. Patience is the answer. Once things are no longer green at all and just a little cloudy, you can then try DE. Floc might help, or make it worse and make it take longer to clear.

You don't need to do that. Floc isn't the answer. Patience is the answer. Once things are no longer green at all and just a little cloudy, you can then try DE. Floc might help, or make it worse and make it take longer to clear.

Well, I didn't want to, but with a pool party looming this Saturday I felt like I had to try it... with no significant FC loss after seven days of SLAMing I used Clorox Sink to Clear Flocculant. Backwashed filter, switched to "recirculate" and added correct amount of floc to the skimmer and let pump run for two hours. Turned pump off and let everything sit for 12 hours, after which time all the junk had sank to the bottom of the pool. Started slowly vacuuming to waste and did the entire pool... then re-filled water to proper level and switched pum back to "filter". Pool is now blue, green is gone... still a little cloudy so I added a dose of Clorox Super Water Clarifier to see if that helps at all. I know that these actions are not recommended and are risky, and that given enough time my sand filter will eventually clear the water, but I am running out of time. I have done the TFP shock by-the-book for three years now, and based on past experience I planned on clearing the pool in two weeks, but it just would not cooperate this year :( Still not sure why...

Just tested and FC has dropped to 17.5, CC is .5. I will keep the FC around shock level for another 48 hours at least as the filter clears the pool, will post a pic in the AM...

I hope you are able to swim Saturday. In the future maintenance should be easy, your pool size could be maintained at 20 ounces of 8.25% bleach per .5 ppm. Using that math and the cya chart, the nightly dosing should be a snap. Of course Pool Math would be more precise.

Thanks guys! Tested this morning and FC is 21.5 (zero FC loss overnight) with CC at .5. Water is still clearing, though...

Yes, this pool is very easy to maintain once everything is clear and balanced. I am seriously considering leaving it open this winter, or if I close it using polyquat as recommended on this forum...

Thanks guys! Tested this morning and FC is 21.5 (zero FC loss overnight) with CC at .5. Water is still clearing, though...

Yes, this pool is very easy to maintain once everything is clear and balanced. I am seriously considering leaving it open this winter, or if I close it using polyquat as recommended on this forum...

I left mine open this winter, and I'm glad I did. I never needed algaecide just kept the FC at the target.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Beautiful :) Sorry about the pic... the system made me compress it below 10KB before it would upload it? If anyone knows how to remedy that please share!
20150507_161606.jpg

Anyway, after the floc and two clarifier treatments in 72 hours I have a clear pool. This is also with keeping FC above shock level (wasn't hard with this one as FC demand has been low since day I opened) and vacuuming entire pool at least once a day, sometimes twice. Now I am just running the pump 24/7 with sock in the skimmer and DE in the filter and backwashing every time my pressure rises 25% of clean pressure. Happy with the clarity right now, but I bet it will be sparkling by the party on Saturday :)

You can upload the pic to photobucket.com and the copy the IMG code and paste it here.

Glad your pool is clear, but in the future just use bleach. Don't add all that other c***. I know you really wanted it ready for Saturday and that is why you did it.

How are your numbers?

I suspect the debris in the pool was the problem. It takes a whole lot of bleach to turn a leaf into liquid! You have to get all the crud out of the pool before the bleach can work. Then, you may also have algae lurking behind the lights that can feed the beast when you think you nearly have it killed. Pull those lights out of the wall and let them hang, so you can be sure the water inside is also shock levels.

You can upload the pic to photobucket.com and the copy the IMG code and paste it here.

Glad your pool is clear, but in the future just use bleach. Don't add all that other c***. I know you really wanted it ready for Saturday and that is why you did it.

How are your numbers?

^^^ This....We would love to see it all cleared up!

Tested this morning:

FC 16
CC .5

Starting to see some sparkle:

20150508_094216_zps7v2fsph8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.