Question re: FC Usage in Green Pool

Yes, do that, and be sure you are tight on your dose calcs, and additions. Go ahead and load some socks with CYA, then put them in the skimmer so you have enough to get you to 30-40.

Then get plenty of bleach, you're gonna need it.

Tested this AM:

FC 9.5
CC 1
CYA 0
PH 7 (actually looks like it could be below 7)
TA 50

I would add Borax to get me to a Ph of 7.2 and bring the FC back up to shock level. What do you guys think?

Glad it came down to test PH. Raise PH a little and check in again. I am happy you get to start you SLAM! Stock up on bleach and be sure to check the dates.

Update: I added 64oz of CYA to a sock and placed it in the skimmer, which should get my CYA to between 30-40 (I added some on Monday as well). I added 95oz of Borax (10 Mule Team) which should get my Ph back up to 7.2-7.3. I added 363oz of bleach which should get my FC back up to 19 or so... brushing the entire pool now ;)

Returned home from work around 5PM... FC has dropped to 14.5. I added 121oz of bleach to kick it back up above SLAM level. Lots of bubbles in the pool and had to backwash filter again... will brush entire pool shortly. Its amazing to me how much the pool has cleared despite water being green? 20150430_110214.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: Its been another 48 hours since I adjusted the levels, but I'm baffled as there is still no significant FC consumption. I've only had to add two 121oz bottles of 8.5% bleach to keep the FC above SLAM level since Friday! The pool continues to clear more each day (see pic) but is still green? I have kept FC above SLAM level for the last seven days with the exception of that one 24 hour period when I let it drop to 10ppm to test and adjust Ph... and I have removed all debris and been brushing the entire pool 2-3 times per day. Filter has been running well and I've had to backwash at least once a day. Is it possible the algae is dead but still green? I've just never seen this before where its taken more than a few days to kill the algae holding FC at or above shock level? Do I need to be looking for answers here or just stay the course? :confused:

20150430_110214.jpg

When I opened exactly one week ago I tested CYA and it was 0. I added 4lbs solid CYA. Added another 4lbs solid CYA on Friday so my levels should be 30-40ppm. I also suspected a higher CYA was responsible for the lack of FC loss, so I even took a water sample to the pool store and it tested 0. I know that the CYA I added won't register for at least a week, but I wanted to see if that 0 starting level was accurate...

When I opened exactly one week ago I tested CYA and it was 0. I added 4lbs solid CYA. Added another 4lbs solid CYA on Friday so my levels should be 30-40ppm. I also suspected a higher CYA was responsible for the lack of FC loss, so I even took a water sample to the pool store and it tested 0. I know that the CYA I added won't register for at least a week, but I wanted to see if that 0 starting level was accurate...
Remember, you are better at doing the CYA test than most pool stores.

Is there any possibility that the pool is more than 25,000 gallons? Less than 30 may not show up on a CYA test, so you may have it hiding just below levels that can be tested.

Remember, you are better at doing the CYA test than most pool stores.

Is there any possibility that the pool is more than 25,000 gallons? Less than 30 may not show up on a CYA test, so you may have it hiding just below levels that can be tested.

Pool is 36' x 16' with 3ft shallow end and 8ft deep end. I have been holding for a few days around 20ppm FC, so even if the CYA was 50 I should still be at shock level...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.