Question about Multiport Fitting and How to Plug Return Line

Jun 16, 2015
Voorhees, NJ
I am planning to help my neighbor convert his pool to rigid PVC. I don’t have much experience with above ground pools and have a few questions. There is a different fitting on the inlet to the multiport valve than the return and waste lines, and I want to make sure that it’s actually removable. On the other ones, I can see tape, so I know they are.

Also, how can I plug the return line so that I can install a pvc fitting there? Does anyone know what type of fitting would work here? It’s not threaded unfortunately and it looks to just be suited for a hose connection.

22C6E64A-2E98-4319-A979-77A3CA58FCE9.jpeg
1554b948-f347-4729-9060-a44729f18cc1-jpeg.360477

D1BB45FF-7292-46FD-A54F-720660D19020.jpeg

Attachments

• 1554B948-F347-4729-9060-A44729F18CC1.jpeg
    1554B948-F347-4729-9060-A44729F18CC1.jpeg
    393.2 KB · Views: 45
The first thing you need to do is remove the Aqua Luminator from the return and repair the rust on the pool wall. There may be a bigger problem brewing there and it will only get worse if ignored. You will need to drain below the fitting to make repairs. Drain low enough to pull the liner away from the wall and look behind it to gauge the extent of the damage. If the rust is extensive enough to enlarge the return opening the wall will need to be patched with sheet metal and a new return cut. Does the skimmer area also have rust issues? Any rust on the bottom at the rail?

The first thing you need to do is remove the Aqua Luminator from the return and repair the rust on the pool wall. There may be a bigger problem brewing there and it will only get worse if ignored. You will need to drain below the fitting to make repairs. Drain low enough to pull the liner away from the wall and look behind it to gauge the extent of the damage. If the rust is extensive enough to enlarge the return opening the wall will need to be patched with sheet metal and a new return cut. Does the skimmer area also have rust issues? Any rust on the bottom at the rail?
I noticed the rust as well but didn’t know the significance of it. I noticed that his pool seems to lose more water than mine does, and I’m not sure if this is the cause. Does this mean that water is seeping behind the liner somehow?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.