Pump too powerful?? Now what??

Gizelle

Silver Supporter
Jun 12, 2015
Genoa city, wi
I would appreciate any help, thoughts, suggestions anyone has to offer. Here's my situation. I have an 12 foot round, 52 inch high agp (about 3,500 gallons) with a 2hp pump and pool store type flexible hoses. Despite purchasing new hoses, changing the types of clamps, and adding 2 off-set clamps per hose, the hoses (plural because everytime 1 stays on another comes off) blow off within a few minutes of the pump being turned on. And, when the hoses do stay attached for an hour or so, it seems like the filter isn't catching anything since when I change it, the filter is pretty darn clean, and yet I have to use a battery operated vacuum everyday to get little gunk (tree/grass droppings, seeds, etc..) off the bottom of the pool. So my big question is:
Do I need a less powerful pump and if so: 1) Any suggestions for which one or what size; 2) ** Any ideas for a temporary fix while I get a new pump and filter? Could I somehow connect a cheap Intex pump/filter with an adapter or something for the hose size difference? I have a 1/2 horsepower submersible pump and a solar powered submersible pump... could I use either of these to move the water through some type of filter for a temporary fix? Plus, do I need a new filter as well?
Sorry...one more comment/question: I've read a lot of posts about hard plumbing or at least flexible pvc type hoses, but I am worried about doing that if I have the wrong size pump, the hoses might stay on but the filter still won't work well. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Where did you get the pump? 2 hp seems way over kill for that size pool?
It's the pump and filter that came with the pool as a "package deal" from an outdoor store (The Great Escape). It's my first pool (which I love the swimming part of it:), but I am definitely wishing I discovered this site BEFORE purchasing my pool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be good to show a picture of your system. Sounds like you have a valve closed, or a hose kinked, after the filter and are "dead-heading" the pump. Water has no where to go so blows the hoses off. That's a much better result than having a filter-lid blow off.

I'm not familiar with a Hayward Swim Pro pump. This, most likely, is an above ground "skid pack." While 2hp is a large pump, if it is an above ground pump it is not the same as a pump designed for inground use. Still uses a lot of energy.

Reactions: markayash
Is all this new or have you been using without problems before? I would replace gauge first, but is it replaceable? I am not familiar with cartridge filters, but maybe if there is so much pressure, the dirt is not staying suspended onto filter and redirecting back to pool.

Last edited:
Is all this new or have you been using without problems before? I would replace gauge first, but is it replaceable?
I have been using this for 4 years and have the same problems every year to various degrees. Usually, I am able to get the hoses to stay on for a period of time by adjusting cinder blocks under the hoses by the places they attach, adding offset clamps, etc.. , but this last week I have not had any luck. I figured it is way passed time to do something about the issue, but not sure if I should be looking for a smaller pump and better hoses or just working with the pump and filter I have.

I agree that you have way too much pump for that pool, however the main issue is the hoses. The number two connection is barely on the fitting, and it looks like you are using a spring clamp. Are the pvc fittings smooth or barbed? It looks like the return fitting is smooth under the hose. Hoses should be used with barbed fittings. If you fittings are barbed, try getting a set of worm drive hose clamps, and a bowl of very hot water. Dip the end of the hose into the hot water for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Slip the clamp loosely onto the hose, then slide the wet hose over the fitting as far as you can. Use a screwdriver to tighten the clamp securely. Don't force it super tight, you don't want to crack the fitting. (By the way if you have a cracked fitting you won't be able to secure the hoses.) The hot water will soften the hose end so it can stretch over the fitting better.

If you do not have barbed fittings I would just use hard pvc pipe to replace the hoses. You would need 1 more ball valve union like you have on the inlet to the pump. The new ball valve would go on the return line. Then in the winter you can undo the unions to move the pump and filter inside.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That pump doesn't happen to be a 2-speed model does it? A lot of places won't allow single speed pumps that big to be sold on new installations. Check for a switch at the back of the motor on the bottom of the housing.

If it isn't a 2-speed, the permanent solution is to hard plumb it. However, as a temporary solution you could add a valve at the outlet of the filter housing (marked #1) and partially close it to restrict the pressure out of the filter and that would stop the hoses blowing off.

I agree that you have way too much pump for that pool, however the main issue is the hoses. The number two connection is barely on the fitting, and it looks like you are using a spring clamp. Are the pvc fittings smooth or barbed? It looks like the return fitting is smooth under the hose. Hoses should be used with barbed fittings. If you fittings are barbed, try getting a set of worm drive hose clamps, and a bowl of very hot water. Dip the end of the hose into the hot water for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Slip the clamp loosely onto the hose, then slide the wet hose over the fitting as far as you can. Use a screwdriver to tighten the clamp securely. Don't force it super tight, you don't want to crack the fitting. (By the way if you have a cracked fitting you won't be able to secure the hoses.) The hot water will soften the hose end so it can stretch over the fitting better.

If you do not have barbed fittings I would just use hard pvc pipe to replace the hoses. You would need 1 more ball valve union like you have on the inlet to the pump. The new ball valve would go on the return line. Then in the winter you can undo the unions to move the pump and filter inside.
Thank you for your response! Here's an updated picture...hose still comes off, but it stayed on for 10 minutes.

Attachments

• updatedhose.JPG
    updatedhose.JPG
    593.4 KB · Views: 13
That pump doesn't happen to be a 2-speed model does it? A lot of places won't allow single speed pumps that big to be sold on new installations. Check for a switch at the back of the motor on the bottom of the housing.

If it isn't a 2-speed, the permanent solution is to hard plumb it. However, as a temporary solution you could add a valve at the outlet of the filter housing (marked #1) and partially close it to restrict the pressure out of the filter and that would stop the hoses blowing off.
Thank you! The pump is not a 2-speed model, so I think I will try your adding a valve at the outlet solution for the time being as I look into hard plumbing at the end of the season and maybe a smaller pump so the filter might actually filter out gunk:)

Thank you! The pump is not a 2-speed model, so I think I will try your adding a valve at the outlet solution for the time being as I look into hard plumbing at the end of the season and maybe a smaller pump so the filter might actually filter out gunk:)
1 more question: could I restrict the water flow at the inlet where there is already a valve to both help the hose at the outlet not come off AND hopefully help the filter work, or is that not a good idea or possible? Thanks again.

There’s a chance you could starve the pump when you restrict flow going in. You can try it, but watch and make sure the pump stays full to the top. Turn off pump before adjusting the valve.

1 more question: could I restrict the water flow at the inlet where there is already a valve to both help the hose at the outlet not come off AND hopefully help the filter work, or is that not a good idea or possible? Thanks again.

You can, but be careful when closing it that you don't close it far enough that the pump starts getting air in the basket. I'd close it until you can tell a marked difference in the force of the water coming out the eyeball in the pool.

I would tell you to watch the pressure gauge, but you said that it wasn't working.

Also, what size is the eyeball in the pool (1/2", 3/4", 1", etc.)? If you're not using it for directing circulation you can completely remove it and that will help with the pressure on the hose also. If it's a small eyeball you can get a 1" one and that will help too.

You can, but be careful when closing it that you don't close it far enough that the pump starts getting air in the basket. I'd close it until you can tell a marked difference in the force of the water coming out the eyeball in the pool.

I would tell you to watch the pressure gauge, but you said that it wasn't working.

Also, what size is the eyeball in the pool (1/2", 3/4", 1", etc.)? If you're not using it for directing circulation you can completely remove it and that will help with the pressure on the hose also. If it's a small eyeball you can get a 1" one and that will help too.
Thanks, again! I am currently using an infusion v-fitting although i am not sure why. Must have read something cool about it sometime and believed it. I will try removing it.

Attachments

• inletthing.jpg
    inletthing.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.