Pump size and number of jets.

tadczar

Feb 14, 2024
Houston, TX
Hello everyone. Complete newb here. I am in the process of getting a new pool. I am wondering if 3hp shared (running in spa mode) pump with 2 air blowers will be enough for 12 venturi jets. I figured it should based on 0.25hp per jet rule. Any thoughts?

Hello everyone. Complete newb here. I am in the process of getting a new pool. I am wondering if 3hp shared (running in spa mode) pump with 2 air blowers will be enough for 12 venturi jets. I figured it should based on 0.25hp per jet rule. Any thoughts?
You need to go by GPM not HP.

If you are set on 12 jets, I would go with two plumbing loops with a VS pump and 6 jets on each loop. This way you can use larger jets which are stronger and cover more body area. Using 7/16" jets and 3" plumbing should get you about 22 GPM per jet which are very strong jets for that size.

Last edited:
You need to go by GPM not HP.

If you are set on 12 jets, I would go with two plumbing loops with a VS pump and 6 jets on each loop. This way you can use larger jets which are stronger and cover more body area. Using 7/16" jets and 3" plumbing should get you about 22 GPM per jet which are very strong jets for that size.
Thank you. I will definitely bring it up with my PB.

Reactions: Texas Splash
I do have 2 separate loops, one for back one for calf's.

Does each loop have equal number of jets and are the jets the same size?

Also, make sure the PB installs a Hartford loop on each of the jet loops to prevent the air pipes from filling with water. That way, you won't need a blower if you don't want one.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Does each loop have equal number of jets and are the jets the same size?

Also, make sure the PB installs a Hartford loop on each of the jet loops to prevent the air pipes from filling with water. That way, you won't need a blower if you don't want one.
Same number of jets and same size. Gunite is already done so as far as the plumbing goes it is what it is unfortunately.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One more pont, you said there were two loops but does each loop have it's own suction line and return line back to the equipment pad? If the PB used only one suction and one return line so only one pump can be used, then the jets will likely be very weak.

It has 2 blowers so I assume each loop has separate lines.
The blower attaches to the air line, not the jet water lines. That just means you have two air lines.

With a suction, return and air line for each loop, there should be 6 pipes coming up near the equipment pad from just the spa.

Not without separate suction lines and return lines going to pad. The current plumbing (1 1/2"?) is way too small for spa jets. That small of a pipe really should not exceed 50 GPM which is only 4 GPM per jet. There is no jet on the market that needs that little of a flow rate and even if they did, it would be way underpowered. I don't see how any of this is going to be sufficient. Unfortunately, I don't think your PB has a clue as to how to design a proper spa.

The plumbing around the spa looks fine, I just don't understand why the PB used such small pipe from the spa to the pump. Any other views showing the pipe runs to the equipment?

Do you know what size jets they used?

I am counting 8 jets on the top are there 4 on the bottom?

Last edited:
Yeah they actually messed that up. It's fixed now and it's 6 on top and 6 on the bottom. I was also able to pull some more plumbing images from my cameras. No idea on the jet size. Also as you can see they put the calf jets very low in my opinion. I am hoping that directional covers turned up will fit it just right. Are there any brand etc that can be rotated more than others?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240418-184854.png
    Screenshot_20240418-184854.png
    651.5 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20240418_235147676.jpg
    PXL_20240418_235147676.jpg
    698.1 KB · Views: 4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support