2thman

Apr 28, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Need to replace pump - Motor tripped the breaker 2 nights ago, then sparked after reset and now just hum. Pump assembly is weathered.

Local pool repair guy replaced prior 1.5 HP Northstar with Waterway 1.5 HP just over 5 years ago. We recently added a Raypak electric heater 11W (and I did have it running for the spa when the motor died, if that's relevant).

I have full solar (and separate previously installed pool solar) on our roof, so the cost savings of VS is not our main issue. There are also no rebates from our electric company now.

From reading through forum threads, I see the Pentair Intelliflo is highly recommended.

Is there an advantage of Jandy considering we have the aquaswitch (currently used just for separate pool and spa lights, and to switch from pool to spa function (or I do it manually at the valve)? Not sure how much extra automation I need as pump runs on a daily timer now.

We also live on the water so prefer unit that holds up to salt air.

We had the pool solar installed after so wonder if more HP is needed for the extra water travel to the roof and back.

I can consider anything from the low end of installing another single speed for < $400 (plus labor), to the Intelliflo (or other similar brand) for approx $1500. I realize after next year VS will be the only available.

Appreciate any thoughts, running to pool store now for liquid chlorine before it turns.

Steven

He says probably not the capacitor, recommends the
Sta-Rite SuperMax VS Variable Speed Pool Pump 1-1/2 HP
because the Pentair (sister pump) is currently out of stock. I looked it up and it sounds reasonable for my use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.