Pump problems

Pool Boys came today to open my pool for the season. Never opened our pool since we bought the house last summer so i called for help this first time. Was told that when the psi on the filter gets up to 25, backwash til clear, filter 1 minute, backwash again until clear, put 3 scoops of my DE directly in my skimmer. So far so good. Left for 3 hrs for work, came back and had no pressure in my filter, pump was working away with very little water in the basket and there was nothing coming out of my jets. Shut my pump down for a few minutes, turned back on and was fine for 2 hrs before i had the same problem.

Any one know whats going on?

Just went out and watched my pressure guage and pump. The pressure will bounce back and forth between 10psi and almost 25psi. When up to 25 have good pressure out my jets, then it dips and hardly anything comes out the jets then it bounces back up again to almost 25psi and keeps repeating this process.

My guess: suction side air leak underground. After the pump is shut down, water saturates the ground and blocks the air from leaking in. Once the pump is on for a while, that water is pulled out of the dirt, and then it sucks air. Doesn't take much of a leak to pull a significant amount of air.

Check your water level and make sure it is at least mid-skimmer. Also, make sure the weir door is moving freely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.