Sarasota, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi so I am pretty new to maintaining my own pool. I did some vacuuming today and then turned the pool pump off. When I started the pump back up I opened the air valve on the filter first. However the pump basket isn't filling all the way up. Not sure what to do I did open the basket to clean it and put it back on tight. Could it be more air that needs to escape from the air valve? Should I just leave that open for a while. I dont feel there is much air coming out of there when I have it completely open though it is tough to tell as the water flies out.

When my contractor is here replacing stuff every time he turns the pool back on the pump basket is filled to the top. Just curious as to what I might be doing wrong. There is no way I have a leak as it was fine before I shut it down.

Makes sure any 3-way valves you might have closed earlier are all open. Also make sure the skimmer weir/flap door isn't partially closed stuck. Since you vacuumed, ensure you didn't leave anything behind in the skimmer suction hole. If all of that looks good, and you are sure the pump lid is well lubed and secured tightly, run it on high for a minute or so. All the air should get pushed out of the pot. If not, post a pic or two of your equipment pad so we can see everything.

I mean from what I can tell the lid is tight and secure. I just shut it down again to check the gasket. The gasket looks fine. There was a little bit dry so I did put a little bit of lube on it. I’m not really seeing any air bubbles come out of the returns slightly the PSI seems to be running pretty high, but for whatever reason I just can’t basket completely full like my old Pool Guy used to do . It was completely fine before I shut down and started to vacuum so I must be doing something incorrect.

Attachments

• IMG_2828.jpeg
    IMG_2828.jpeg
    475.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2830.jpeg
    IMG_2830.jpeg
    623.8 KB · Views: 10
Makes sure any 3-way valves you might have closed earlier are all open. Also make sure the skimmer weir/flap door isn't partially closed stuck. Since you vacuumed, ensure you didn't leave anything behind in the skimmer suction hole. If all of that looks good, and you are sure the pump lid is well lubed and secured tightly, run it on high for a minute or so. All the air should get pushed out of the pot. If not, post a pic or two of your equipment pad so we can see everything.
All I did was close the pool drain so I had more suction through the simmer to vacuum. That has been opened back up as well.

If you haven't cleaned the filter cartridges, I'd do that now. If they are really dirty and impacted, it can inhibit water flow and mess with the pot water level a but. You could also pull water only from the skimmer to see if that helps fill the pot. If it does, then "slowly' open the drain line a bit. But I would keep most water pull from the skimmer anyways.

I mean from what I can tell the lid is tight and secure. I just shut it down again to check the gasket. The gasket looks fine. There was a little bit dry so I did put a little bit of lube on it. I’m not really seeing any air bubbles come out of the returns slightly the PSI seems to be running pretty high, but for whatever reason I just can’t basket completely full like my old Pool Guy used to do . It was completely fine before I shut down and started to vacuum so I must be doing something incorrect.
If you vacuumed through the filter (relatively small filter as usual for Florida) and didn't clean the cartridge, there can be enough restriction to flow that the pump can't clear all the air. It won't hurt anything as, without air returning to the pool, you're not sucking in air, just not clearing it. Turn the RPM up, or use the "Quick Clean" button to go full speed for a while.

Did you clean the filter carts after vacuuming?
no I did not open or clean the filter.
If you haven't cleaned the filter cartridges, I'd do that now. If they are really dirty and impacted, it can inhibit water flow and mess with the pot water level a but. You could also pull water only from the skimmer to see if that helps fill the pot. If it does, then "slowly' open the drain line a bit. But I would keep most water pull from the skimmer anyways.
Okay so shut down, close the pool drain, rinse the filter, put it back. Open the air valve and start the pump? With the air valve open do I close it as soon as water is coming out or do I wait a while? I mean it comes out so fast at times it is hard to tell if it's air or just the water coming out hard.

You are in FL, the land of small pool filters.

Get a pool cleaner that captures debris and does not clog your main pool filter.

Vacuuming into a small cartridge filter just creates more work to clean the cartridge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Could the pump impeller be plugged? Did the pump basket have a hole in it?

no I did not open or clean the filter.

Okay so shut down, close the pool drain, rinse the filter, put it back. Open the air valve and start the pump? With the air valve open do I close it as soon as water is coming out or do I wait a while? I mean it comes out so fast at times it is hard to tell if it's air or just the water coming out hard.
Close the air relief once it starts blowing water, or allow the internal air relief to do its job. There is no need to purge the air from a filter, it is done automatically, even if there is a suction leak. The most important reason to open that air relief is to be sure there is no residual pressure in the system if you are going to open the filter. It keeps you from being injured if there happened to be air under pressure with the system off.

Reactions: diesel1218
Close the air relief once it starts blowing water, or allow the internal air relief to do its job. There is no need to purge the air from a filter, it is done automatically, even if there is a suction leak. The most important reason to open that air relief is to be sure there is no residual pressure in the system if you are going to open the filter. It keeps you from being injured if there happened to be air under pressure with the system off.
and no need to fill the pump basket with water?

There isn't a whole in the basket, there is a chance the filter is dirty with the vacuuming I just did. I will clean the filter and then try again.
Is the equipment below the pool? If not, just turn the pump off, open the air relief, open the filter, remove the cartridge and hose it off well, reverse the process and you're done. The pump should not need to be filled more than it is when it is turned off. You can never fill it completely anyway, just up to the inlet port.

Reactions: diesel1218
Is the equipment below the pool? If not, just turn the pump off, open the air relief, open the filter, remove the cartridge and hose it off well, reverse the process and you're done. The pump should not need to be filled more than it is when it is turned off. You can never fill it completely anyway, just up to the inlet port.
so when I went back out to clean the filter the pump basket was basically full could see a little bubble in the top of the glass. I decided to clean the filter anyway. Startup was a little rough as the PSI seemed to spike for a while but it is leveled out a bit now. Hopefully I am all set I appreciate the help.

so when I went back out to clean the filter the pump basket was basically full could see a little bubble in the top of the glass. I decided to clean the filter anyway. Startup was a little rough as the PSI seemed to spike for a while but it is leveled out a bit now. Hopefully I am all set I appreciate the help.
Pump primes at a higher speed than what they are usually set to run. That accounts for the increase in pressure on the gauge. Higher RPM = higher pressure in the system.

Seems odd to me but maybe someone can confirm. My pump basket seems to not fill with I have the main drain closed and more going through skimmer?

Seems odd to me but maybe someone can confirm. My pump basket seems to not fill with I have the main drain closed and more going through skimmer?

Either your main drain has better plumbing then the skimmer or you have a suction air leak in the skimmer line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support