Pump is not priming and water is coming back from the filter when strain lid is open.

okapy

Apr 23, 2018
Franklin Lakes
I am trying to start the pool equipment after the winter. It's pretty simple Pentair Superflo pump -> DE filter -> Heater system.

I checked all o-rings and all plumbing equipment looks fine. I don't see any obvious signs of water or air leaks.

However pump is not priming. When I turn it on - motor is working and water from the streamer immediately sucked to the filter. After that it create a very tiny stream of water coming from the pool.

The odd thing: When I turn it off and open a strainer lid the water is coming back from the filter, overflowing the strainer and then it keeps coming out. it looks like whatever water is in the DE filter is going back through the pump.

Any advise what could it be?

Impeller looks clean and I don't see any leaks. It's all nice and dry.

What suppose to stop DE filter barrel water from coming out from strainer once lid is open? It never did that before.

It used to be like this: Open strainer lid, see some water in the basket (at about 2./3 level). Now when I open a lid I am getting a fountain coming out of it? It's coming from the pump/filter side, not from the suction side.

I am pretty sure that was used to hold that water is broken now causing my problems. The question is - what is it?

Impeller looks clean and I don't see any leaks. It's all nice and dry.

What suppose to stop DE filter barrel water from coming out from strainer once lid is open? It never did that before.

It used to be like this: Open strainer lid, see some water in the basket (at about 2./3 level). Now when I open a lid I am getting a fountain coming out of it? It's coming from the pump/filter side, not from the suction side.

If water is spilling out of the pump basket, you are allowing air to enter somewhere on the pressure side.......that's a different problem than not priming.

Your issue seems to be not priming, right? How long do you let the trickle of water flow into the pump basket before you give up and shut off the pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.