Pump flow cuts off

jbsmith22

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2013
Mansfield, MA
Hi TFPers!

My filter isn't working and I can't figure it out. When I first start the filter, everything is fine. The basket in the pump fills with water, and water flows out of the returns. Over time, though, (and it can be as short as 5-10 minutes) the flow of water into the pump slows down and water stops flowing out of 2 of the 3 returns. After a little while longer, the pump basket will be dry, the pressure reading on the filter will be 3x normal, and no water will be coming out of the returns. When I turn the pump off, water backflows from the filter body into the pump, so it is holding pressure into the filter while it's running at least.

If I then backwash it for awhile, the cycle starts again. It doesn't matter if I feed DE into the system or not after the backwash, the behavior is the same.

My assumption is there is a blockage somewhere, but I can't decide if it's in one of the lines (seems unlikely since there are two different drains -- well three, but one skimmer is attached to the same line as the floor drain). It could be inside the filter, but the pool company just set it up for the year. This was happening last year as well, so the entire filter was cleaned at the end of last year, but it's happening again.

The pump is a Hayward Super Pump 3/4 HP feeding a 36 sqft Hayward DE filter.

Thanks!

Couple of odd notes,

If the pump basket is empty there should be no pressure as there is no water flow

If you have pressure but no water flow your dead heading the pump with a blockage.

Investigate the pump basket first for air leaks, stick a garden hose in the skimmer to help push water into the pump, check your pressure gauge and see if it works.

Then pull your filter, maybe there is a plastic bag in it

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.