ProTeam's Metal Magic Less "Cloudy" Alternative

tech135797531

Jun 14, 2019
FL
I live in N. Florida and twice a year I play the iron staining / ascorbic acid game. Each time I successfully follow the same process (that I learned here) and use a bottle of Metal Magic. And each time the pool gets cloudier and more difficult to see through than Mt. Denali during a whiteout. The culprit is always, as acknowledged by many including the manufacturer, Metal Magic. Each time it takes a week of brushing 20 times a day and cleaning the cartridge 2 times a day to get most of it out. I get the end results but I'm getting really tired of it.

I would like to start adding a sequestrant monthly to slow down the staining a bit and maybe only have to do the AA treatment once a year. The reason I don't is the fear of having to constantly deal with cloudiness, even if I'm only dumping 6 oz of Metal Magic rather than the full bottle. Is there a good sequestrant that doesn't lead to severe cloudiness and hours upon hours of brushing and cleaning?

Thank you!

What's causing your staining? Iron? Copper? Where are the metals coming from?
It's iron staining that vanishes with vitamin C. It's a light blue fiberglass pool so it shows very quickly, especially on the walls, all the way around. The city water around here has a high metal content, so each time I have to add a couple of inches of water due to lack of rain or kids splashing around, I'm adding more metal. So there's nothing I can do to eliminate the metal issue for which reason I regret going with light blue.

You could try Jacks Magic The Magenta Stuff. It’s based on polyacrylic acid (PAA) instead of HEDP like ProTeam MM.

Long term you either have to spend lots of money on sequestering agents along with their long term use consequences, OR, bite the bullet and install a whole-house iron and mineral removal water conditioning system so that you can fill your pool with treated water. Only you can decide if the upfront cost of a conditioner is worth all the hassle of doing regular AA treatments and living with a constant diet of sequestering agents.

How much iron do you have in the water? Guessing you're on well water? Iron removal isn't all that hard. There are two ways that might make sense depending on how much you're dealing with. You can get de-ionizing filters that have resin that gets depleted but it can be recharged. If you don't have much iron this could be an easy solution and cheap. If you have a lot of iron you'll need an iron removal filter in addition to the refillable resin filter. The iron filter will remove the bulk of your iron (about 90%) and you'll need to do a final polish with the resin. Total cost of the iron filter for DIY is about $800 plus plumbing.

Chris

Thank you, guys! I'll start looking into an iron filter. I don't use well water, but city water. Regardless, it has a high metal content compared to other places. In the meantime, as JoyfullNoise suggested, I'll give the Magenta Stuff a try, maybe it won't make the pool as cloudy as Metal Magic. Thank you again for the advice.

You can buy sequestrants to eternity and all you're doing is hiding the iron. If you want to be done with it-
Some reading -

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.