Prime the pump everytime(pics attached)

fatboysam said:
You know what results I gave using my previous job ... lol... I don't want to risk it anymore... I got a quote of $100 from a contractor including labor/parts.. do you think it's reasonable ?

You can't get much done for less than a $100. Just for a contractor to come out and bid then having to come back and do the job is well worth a $100 to me even if he was at your place for 15 minutes to fix it. Most likely it will be more time than that.

I got it done in $80.00 , look at the pictures, I actually got quotes of $80, $125, $175, $295 and $500 from various contractors for same job :).

Now look at the pictures and please answer my question, does the pool pump has to be hooked to the foundation with some Nut bolts OR the pool pump just rests on the ground, and the Piping support its place ? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4790.jpg
    IMG_4790.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4791.jpg
    IMG_4791.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4792.jpg
    IMG_4792.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 80
A pump should be secured with bolts to the pad, but my 1.5 HP. pump just sets on the pad with no bolts holding it down and has operated without problems for 15 years.

P.S. That is a much better inlet piping configuration than you had before.

Mine isn't bolted either. Well actually the bolts fell out and I never bothered to replace them.

BTW, did removing the leaf basket solve your air leak issue?

If you had a slab there I would bolt it down. Since you don't it's not really applicable. The reason for bolting is to reduce vibration and possible "walking pump" and accompanying stress on piping leading to a problem down the road. Lots of people never have their pumps bolted down and never have a problem.

But is it possible to replace only the motor ? their is a new law in AZ, you can only install dual speed motors from Jan 2012, which they already told me, I don't know if the motor will be compatible with the pump, BTW how much is this motor ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Assuming they get the correct size motor, a two speed will be compatible with your pump. The only difference between a single speed and two speed pump is the motor. A two speed motor costs about $300 depending on the size and type of motor. Here are some typical prices: http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/56Jframe.htm

> I paid only the deductible, BTW, do you know if these 2 speeds make any difference to the electricity bill ?
>

My personal experience, yep. But I don't have a full season on mine yet.

Take a look in the Pool School pool-school/pool_pump_basics and there has been a lot said about this topic, so do a google search.

Your electric rates and how you will run the pump will determine how much you will save. This motor is more efficient than your old motor was, so if you run on high all the time you should see a ten to twenty percent savings. I guess the time the pump is run on low speed will cost about 25% of high speed, but will need to run twice as long, so there should be a substantial savings there. The motor is programmable which can also help on the elec costs. Check with your utility company and see if there are any rebates you might qualify for (probably not, but the worst answer they can give you is "no"). Your mileage will vary, but yep, it will save you on electricity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.