Pressure and Pentair IC40 question

SteveTech

Dec 20, 2022
Tulsa, OK
In the process of getting my setup dailed in, last night, I noticed a "low flow" reading on the screen logic app when running at 1600 RPM.. In doing a little research on the IC40, it seems to need a 25gpm rate as the "minimum". which is about 1800 RPM in my setup.. at 1600 RPM (Inteiiflow VSF) I am getting between 16 and not registering, thus why I think it produced that.. I know plumbing, pipe size, etc. might vary the RPM/GPM, just wondering if that is variable all depending..

Also, I am noticing that at 1800 RPM, I am getting between 6-7 PSI, at 2000, between 8-9 PSI, and at 2500, about 12-13 PSI. when spillway runs, 2800 RPM at 18-19 PSI.. I don't know if that is normal or low from a PSI standpoint. Just did a backwash on the filter, and I got the same readings.. Also after running the backwash and returning the multi-way to "filter", when I started up the pump, I noticed that the filter handle was "loose" (up/down) and there was next to no water flow going thru the check valve after the heater.. I moved the handle left/right, back to filter, and then flow returned..

Could this be a gasket issue?

Last edited:
In the process of getting my setup dailed in, last night, I noticed a "low flow" reading on the screen logic app when running at 1600 RPM.. In doing a little research on the IC40, it seems to need a 25gpm rate as the "minimum". which is about 1800 RPM in my setup.. at 1600 RPM (Inteiiflow VSF) I am getting between 16 and not registering, thus why I think it produced that.. I know plumbing, pipe size, etc. might vary the RPM/GPM, just wondering if that is variable all depending..

That sounds right. I need 1700-1800 RPM for my IntelliChlor.

If you bypass your heater you will find you get sufficient flow at a lower RPM.

Also, I am noticing that at 1800 RPM, I am getting between 6-7 PSI, at 2000, between 8-9 PSI, and at 2500, about 12-13 PSI. when spillway runs, 2800 RPM at 18-19 PSI.. I don't know if that is normal or low from a PSI standpoint. Just did a backwash on the filter, and I got the same readings..

That is normal that PSI varies with RPM and flow.

Also after running the backwash and returning the multi-way to "filter", when I started up the pump, I noticed that the filter handle was "loose" (up/down) and there was next to no water flow going thru the check valve after the heater.. I moved the handle left/right, back to filter, and then flow returned..

Could this be a gasket issue?
Just sounds like you did not properly seat the MPV selector. I always double check the handle has drooped into the notch before turning on the pump.

If you bypass your heater you will find you get sufficient flow at a lower RPM.
Already have the valve and actuator in the Amazon basket.. it is a straight 90 from the heater intake to the pipe right after the check valve, so easy install.. Going to set up the automation so that when a call for heat happens, the valve opens automatically..

Going to set up the automation so that when a call for heat happens, the valve opens automatically..

More importantly you need to keep the bypass open after heater shutdown for a few minutes to let the heater cool.

Or set the bypass to be slightly open so you have a small flow of water always through the bypass.

Reactions: DavidArmenB
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.