Power cord is HOT

The breaker size is not relevant to the overheating.

The power cord is too small for 15 amps.

I suggest switching over to 240 volts, downsizing the impeller and removing the cord.

Run liquidtight conduit from the switch box into the pump.

If the line is a dedicated line, you should be able to use the same wiring. An electrician should be able to do it.

Was the voltage at the pump measured today while the pump was on?

The killawatt device will handle 15 amps, try that to check amps, volts, watts, voltamps and power factor.

Note that the killawatt might not handle the power of the pump but I think that it's worth a try.

When I say there is a problem with your wiring I mean from the house to the equipment pad. You have classic signs of an undervoltage problem caused by wire that is too small for not only the current it is carrying but also the length of wire that is run. Both of those things need to be accounted for when determining the size of wire you need.

Switching the pump and wire over to 240v will solve the problem as James suggests.

If we set it up for 240voltage, are you saying that means wiring from the house to the pump?

Please stay with me here, I'm trying to keep my head above water. Some of the suggestions seem beyond what I can handle.

Sorry, I just noticed that you mentioned the wiring from the house to the pad. So, possibly, the original electrician, who also owns the same kind of pool I have, didn't set it up with enough voltage for this pump?

If an electrician runs power to a pool pump and has the option to run 240 volts, then that’s the preferred voltage because the current is half of a 120 volt line.
120 volt will work but the line needs to be sized properly to carry the current without excessive voltage drop or wire heating. What is the wire length and wire size? What is the voltage when the pump is on?
If you have a dedicated line, you should be able to convert to 240 volts without running new wire. Converting to 240 volts would drop the current in half and greatly reduce heating.
A 1.5 HP pump is way oversized for your pool but it should work as long as the voltage is correct.
The motor might be defective, but it seems less likely since it’s happening on multiple motors or pumps.
The pump might be designed or assembled incorrectly. If the impeller is oversized for the motor, the motor will run hot.
I would suggest switching to 240 volts (needs electrician), downsize impeller and hardwire into pump to eliminate the cord.

I think the wire is 12 gauge, it's 50 ft from the house to the pump. Can't answer the voltage question, today when I asked the electrician that, (this is way beyond me) he just said 115, referring to what the pump says on it. I can try to call tomorrow and ask again.

I do have a dedicated line so I'll ask the electrician if he will switch it to 240 volts. and maybe the hardwire too.
I have no idea who to ask about replacing the impeller, maybe the pool store? This is just too much, how hard should it be to filter a little pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.