Power cord is HOT

Look for a 12 gauge cord that will serve 16-20 amps. The prime purpose is to see if the current outlet is malfunctioning and causing the pump to overheat. The extension cord is not meant to replace having an electrical receptacle at the pool.

Your using an extension cord? Never saw that mentioned before, that may explain things lot more than earlier. Using a extension cord that is not of the proper gauge will make the motor and cord overheat as its not efficient in carrying the electrical load required by the pump. The longer the distance, the heavier gauge of cord required.
And the best thing is not use a extension cord at all, but have a hard wire power cable installed from your home to the pool area so you can plug the pump directly into the socket.

- - - Updated - - -

Will the 15 amp cord be enough for the 1-1/2 hp motor?

No, need at least a 20 amp.

Your using an extension cord? Never saw that mentioned before, that may explain things lot more than earlier. Using a extension cord that is not of the proper gauge will make the motor and cord overheat as its not efficient in carrying the electrical load required by the pump. The longer the distance, the heavier gauge of cord required.
And the best thing is not use a extension cord at all, but have a hard wire power cable installed from your home to the pool area so you can plug the pump directly into the socket.

- - - Updated - - -

No, need at least a 20 amp.

She is not using an extension cord for everyday operation, it was suggested one be used to rule out problems with a particular electrical outlet. The dedicated electrical socket is the suspected problem.

I totally agree the extension cord test could reveal helpful information. I'd try it with 2 or three different outlets if you can reach them. Let's see what happens.

Reminder to anyone just reading the end of this thread - we are suggesting using the extension cord as a diagnostic tool, under supervision only, and not to use as a replacement for proper electrical service to the motor. Extension cords of any length are not suggested for pool motors beyond supervised diagnostic purposes, and even then it must be a sufficiently rated extension cord.

With reference to the electric line from the circuit breaker to the electrical outlet:
What is the wire gauge?
What is the overall length of the wire run from the breaker to the outlet?

Having a 20 amp breaker and a 20 amp rated outlet is fine and dandy - but if the wire gauge isn't large enough, it could cause an issue. Minimum wire gauge for a 20 amp circuit is 12awg.

Does the circuit breaker or the outlet have GFCI protection?

As JamesW suggested, have an electrican check the voltage and current draw while the pump is running. Might be best to check right after pump is started and again after 15-30 minutes to check if the pump is working as intended.

I have a designated 20 amp outlet out at the pool. Today I got a 10 gauge, 20 amp extension cord as zea3 suggested, plugged it into an outlet in my kitchen and the motor was extremely hot within 20 minutes. I have unplugged it. (an electrician was here yesterday and he agreed it's too hot to run it like that).

The weather here in Kansas has been in the 90's and even 100 yesterday, but I've tried running it in the morning and late evening with the same outcome. Today I set a wastebasket near it to block the sun from shining on it, but not too close as to keep airflow from circulating around it.

I will post a picture of the pump info. It won't allow me to post another pic.

Proavia: The electrician who came out yesterday checked the gauge of the wire, I don't remember what he said it was ( 10 or 12?) but he said it was sufficient. The wiring is about 55 to 60 feet from the breaker box to the outlet. There is a separate gfci outlet next to the house between the breaker box and the pool outlet.

Our neighbor has a voltage meter, we'll get him over tonight. We'all check it right after plugging in and fifteen minutes later as you suggested.

Im ready to start taking hoses off and just checking for blockage. I appreciate all of your expertise on this!

- - - Updated - - -

Should I still try a couple more outlets with the extension cord?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Strange situation - I would, but I can't actually suggest anyone else do it. The abuse to the motor probably isn't worth it, but in my mind I'd be assuming I have to at least have it re-wound or replaced or whatever, so might as well eliminate wiring as an issue. Nonetheless, I believe the voltage test will be very helpful.

As for a potential blockage ... I'd wait to see voltage results before investing time in that hunt.

Disclaimer: I have no expertise in this.

You can check the suction side for blockage by wrapping a cloth around a water hose and putting it into the pump basket into the opening for the suction line. Remove the skimmer basket. You are going to run water through the suction line into the skimmer starting at the pump. Turn on the hose full blast and see if anything gets blown out of the suction line.

Oops sorry missed that post. Thanks for clarification.
Experts:
Any chance this is a grounding/bonding issue?
Did any of the electricians actually plug a receptacle tester in the outlet?
Perhaps a partial blockage or restriction in the filter chamber, but seems like decent odds it would show on pressure gauge?
Possible that the service to the electric distribution box/fuse box is insufficient for house/ac/pool?

What is the pressure gage actually reading? Have you backwashed the filter at all this summer? Your gage could be bad and maybe you need to backwash....

Another thing you could try is connect the black pump outlet hose directly back to the pool - bypassing the sand filter. If the pump did not get hot this would tell you if the filter is causing the issue.

As long as there is good flow back to the pool, the filter is not the problem.

High pressure will not cause the pump to use more power. High pressure will actually lower power use.

The only way a blockage would cause a problem is if the flow was completely blocked.

The power use would not go up but the lack of flow would cause the motor to overheat because water flow helps cool the motor.

I would be looking for voltage drop under load.

Zea3, I took the hose between the skimmer and the pump off today and was able to straighten it and it is clear.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe I have to go for electrician # 3, but this last company is very highly rated on Angie's list and I talked to the owner about it today. He said his guy checked everything out and the only thing he found was that the gfci is set up for 15 amps. He said it wouldn't pass inspection, but it wasn't causing our problem. Everything else is wired for 20 amp.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.