Pool Won't Hold Chlorine

kirstenbabel

May 8, 2024
Recently took over the care of a 25k gallon in ground fiberglass pool. Pool was maintained over the last year using pucks. Pool has a slight green film on all of the walls.
FC 0
CYA 77
PH 7.6
ALK 280
I scrubbed the walls and added 3 gallons of liquid chlorine. By the next morning, FC was 0. Added 1 gallon a day for 4 days, following day FC always 0. Today I added 8 gallons of liquid chlorine at 6pm. By 8 pm FC was 10. By 9pm FC is 7.5.
Why won't it hold chlorine?

Hey, welcome to TFP!

Likely algae that's consuming chlorine faster than you are adding it.

You seem to have a Waterguru which won't be enough to get you through the SLAM Process, that's required to get rid of that algae.

You need a good test kit, I'd recommend the TF Pro: Test Kits Compared

Once you have that, run a full set of tests and post the results here, and then do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to give us a baseline.

In the meantime, add 5ppm worth of chlorine each day to contain the situation.

PoolMath will help you to calculate how much liquid chlorine that is.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Along with the solid advice provided above, be sure to bookmark our Pool Care Basics where you will find answers to many of your pool-related questions. Once you are able to post some accurate water test results from a TF-Series test kit, we can easily coach you through the water balancing process and get that water healthy again. :swim:

Reactions: mgtfp and Bperry