Pool store testing

It's just a loss leader, designed to get you in the door. They earn nothing by providing accurate results, they earn everything by providing any results and then selling product. They don't earn money to calibrate machines, they don't earn money by taking their time and getting drop tests correct. They earn money selling you something and moving on to the next customer and that is the priority.

I am not suggesting that pool stores alter their readings to enhance sales, I'm quite sure very few are that shady. I am only saying that they aren't paid to do testing and so are more concerned with getting it done than getting it right.

Reactions: jcaj558 and Newdude
Lots of reason.
Employees may not be adequately trained, machines are not calibrated, chemicals used could be expired, instruments not cleaned, etc.

Mostly, they offer free testing just to get you in the door then sell you hundreds of dollars worth of potions to "fix" it.

They exist to sell you stuff, not to ensure you have a clear pool the cheapest way possible. That right there tells you all you need to know.

Their marketing works wonders. Folks leave $175 lighter all happy about their free test.

They exist to sell you stuff, not to ensure you have a clear pool the cheapest way possible. That right there tells you all you need to know.

Their marketing works wonders. Folks leave $175 lighter all happy about their free test.
They have good marketing for sure, especially with people who want to be told what to do by an "expert".

My FIL knows I'm "into pools" and was bragging to me the other day that he got a 100% on his Leslie's water testing. I asked him what that meant and he just told me that 100% meant his water was perfect, then asked what my score was :rolleyes:. His wife also shared that he spent $600 at Leslies last month to get that perfect score.

It blows my mind how expensive those places are. I've been in a pool store twice, both times because my usual blue big box store was out of whatever I needed that day.
First time, I was behind someone buying $650 worth of potions.
Second time, I was behind someone paying $250.
o_O

No wonder pools have a reputation for being money pits!

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.