Help! New Fiberglass pool owner with white discoloration after opening!

msh7rsd

Sep 21, 2021
Louisville, Kentucky
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hello TPF members! My wife and I just installed a fiberglass pool last summer. We had it winterized and when it was opened, we noticed some slight white discoloration on the tanning ledge and the deep end bench. The discoloration isn't raised and it doesn't come off on my hands when I rub it.

After staying up till 2AM for the last week researching it looks like its due to low calcium and the LSI/CSI balance being off all winter... We are in Kentucky and had an extremely cold snap this winter. We were doing the testing ourselves over the summer and backing it up with the local pool store test. The local pool store kept telling us our Calcium hardness levels were fine when the paper kept telling us they were low. So we listened... I believe that was our mistake but wanted to check in with the experts here. When we opened the pool, our Calcium hardness level was 106. I have it up to 167 now. My question is how high do you think I should bring it? The pool store lady about had a heart attack when I told her I wanted to bring it up to 325-350 and she begged me dont do it. When I read about LSI on (What is the LSI?) and looking at what the fiberglass manufacturer calls for, its 350. This discoloration cannot be fixed at this point correct? But I should be able to not let it get any worse by maintaining LSI correct? This orendatech has a great app and site with a great calculator. Wanted to check in here to see if I can on the right track to making sure our large investment isn't totally ruined! My wife and I are absolutely sick to our stomachs over this! The water is currently at 57 degrees. Do I need to turn on the heater to get it up to a certain temp to keep it from being so abrasive? Typically we dont turn on the heater until we know we are going to be swimming.

Thank you for all the help this group has provided us!

Justin