Pool + Spa in MA

I'm sorry, but I don't know the brand. PB gave me the choice of lava rocks or river rocks. These are the river rocks (fake, of course). The one thing I'm not sure about is the flame seems to marking the lighter color stones. Can't decide if I think this is an issue or not. We haven't used it much, so hope to test it fully this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I have a confession to make. I have had my PB managing the pool chemicals since they started it up. We left the country for two weeks four days after we had water and I didn't have anyone to take care of the pool in any serious way during our absence, nor did I know what was required. I did have someone brushing twice daily, adding chlorine and MA per the PBs recommendations.

Regardless, I ordered the TF-100 test kit and have been trying to learn what I will need to know to manage the pool going forward. My current concern is a high FC level. On Monday our SWG reading on the box was 3900 so I took water in to the PB and also did my own tests. FC was at 16 on Monday and has dropped to 15 today and the SWG reading is 3800. Per the PB's advice I turned the dial on the SWG all the way to the left, as low as it will go without turning it off, on Monday afternoon. They told me to let them know if it hasn't come down by Thursday, but it is making me angry at them once again because it is more days this season that we are not able to swim..

Weather has been sunny, dry, and a little windy with cool temperatures at night in the 50s and 60s and highs during the day in the 70s.

My test results today:

FC=16
CC=0
CYA=50
PH=8.2+ (I added half a bottle of MA after testing)

FWIW, here are the PBs test results from Monday:

FC=12
CC=0
PH=8.1
Hardness=215ppm
Alkalinity (w/ stabilizer correction)=110ppm
CYA=53ppm
Iron=0.1ppm
Copper=0ppm

I read in another thread that there is stuff you can put in to lower chlorine levels. Should I do that, or is something else at play here, or is there a better solution? We wondered if maybe running the spillover constantly might help. Please let me know if I there is additional information that I can provide. Thank you!!!

Pretty sure you can swim at that chlorine level but your pH is too high. Use Pool Math to aim for 7.4 so you don't drop it too low. Usually from 8+ to 7.4 I only need to add 1 to 1.5 quarts, which is about a 1/4 gallon in my 14k gallon pool. If you overshot and went too low it's okay, just aerate to get the pH back in range. Check the CYA/chlorine chart for swim levels. You can swim at anything above minimum and below shock values.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pH test isn't valid with FC over 10, but I'm sure it is high with the new plaster.

I'd turn the SWG off until FC dropped below 10, adjust pH, and once FC was about 5 start adding chlorine again. It might be a good idea to run it as a manual pool for the rest of the season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.