Pool shock for saltwater pool, fiberglass

Use PoolMath to calculate how much cya you will need.
You will eventually want around 60ppm so buy enough for the future but for now you will just add 10ppm worth & retest 24 hours later to see where you end up. You want to make sure nothing is brewing before raising cya much above 30ppm.

To lower your ph you will need muriatic acid - also in the pool section @ lowes/Home Depot.
Use PoolMath to calculate how much you need to reach 7.6
Your ph will not lower itself.
Here’s the how to for each chemical

Cyanuric Acid (Stabilizer) granules can be picked up at a pool store, Amazon, etc. I buy this brand from Amazon.

Sock method is simply to keep the granules contained in something (sock, pantyhose, fine mesh, etc) to allow for it to take on moisture and dissolve. It can stain, so it can't just be tossed into the pool. If put into the skimmer, it gets sucked into the filter and takes a week or so to dissolve.

Here's a recent thread where the user used his net. I myself use skimmer socks from Amazon tied onto the end of my brush pole.
Something like this? It’s at Lowe’s
Great. So your CYA is below 30. Add 10 ppm worth of stabilizer using the sock method.

The CC of 1.5 ppm is concerning. Monitor that. Should be less than 1.

FC is fine. Follow FC/CYA Levels using a CYA of 30.

Maintain pH in the 7's.
hello, ran another CYA test after putting a pound of stabilizer yesterday. Still can see the dot but it is more cloudy today, is this going in the right direction?

Attachments

• IMG_4232.jpeg
    IMG_4232.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4233.jpeg
    IMG_4233.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 3
Great. So your CYA is below 30. Add 10 ppm worth of stabilizer using the sock method.

The CC of 1.5 ppm is concerning. Monitor that. Should be less than 1.

FC is fine. Follow FC/CYA Levels using a CYA of 30.

Maintain pH in the 7's.
This is from today’s test

Attachments

• IMG_4232.jpeg
    IMG_4232.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4233.jpeg
    IMG_4233.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 3
Great. How did you add the stabilizer?

If you added using the sock method and all the granules were dissolved yesterday, then add 2 more pounds, same way, wait 24 hours after fully dissolved and test again. That should get you close to 30 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jim, how do I test the CC? No idea 🤷🏻‍♂️
Read through POOL SCHOOL....Trust these guys and gals. I started with my first pool at 60 years old. The only trouble I ever had was when I brought info from web sites outside of the TFP method and trying to merge the two systems. Stick with one method, whatever you choose. The tests will be a breeze in a week or so if you keep doing them. Pretty soon you'll say, "it's July and the temp is high so I need to add 4ppm of Chlorine", even if you skip a test due to an emergency. The system is self explanatory and works like a charm when you're consistent. That's the key, consistency. And if there's ever trouble on your end, one post will get a response to set things straight....Enjoy the Journey.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.