Pool sat for two years... help. **Update - we went swimming!

Re: Pool sat for two years... help.

Back from the deep.. (pun intended. ;) )

I was out of town, but had the kids keep the chlorine level in the shock range while I was out, and I returned to a pool of absolutely clear water I could see all the way down to the bottom with no problem. It looked like tap water... I am amazed. I tried to vacuum some up because I am going to clean the filters tomorrow, but had absolutely no luck in getting it to pull anything though the vacuum head.

Now I can clearly see the sediment, and it is very thick. My buddy's friend builds pools, and I called him and told him of my situation with the lack of a waste valve or backwash feature. He said to remove the cartridges, plug the return holes if I wanted to, put it back together and open the lower drain plug on the housing and try running the vacuum like that, letting the debris and water run out of the filter housing. I needed some water in the pool, so I added some and a little more. I will post pictures tomorrow.... wish me luck!

But I can not believe how clear the water is.... It's just amazing to go from not being able to see 4" down to 9 feet...

I will also run another full test and see where my numbers are.

car guy said:
My buddy's friend builds pools, and I called him and told him of my situation with the lack of a waste valve or backwash feature. He said to remove the cartridges, plug the return holes if I wanted to, put it back together and open the lower drain plug on the housing and try running the vacuum like that, letting the debris and water run out of the filter housing.

Not a bad idea, will remember that for the future! :-D

Alright.... Goofy Filter Setup and Heavy Vacuuming 101:

After talking with a pool builder and following his directions, I have made some progress!
As you know I had a substantial amount of silt and dead algae on my pool floor. The system is a cartridge filter type without a vacuum to waste or back flush option...

So I removed the cartridges and the lower drain plug:

DSCN2169.jpg

This left the return openings that the filters sit on exposed:

DSCN2170.jpg

So I put the filter top holder on them to stop the dirty water from seeping through the return jets and weighed them down with two bricks:

DSCN2171.jpg

Sealed the housing back, primed my vacuum hose and had my son turn on the filter on high:

DSCN2172.jpg

It worked. It takes a lot of water of quickly, and you develop an understanding on how much water your pump is moving.

This was my second pass. I did a little yesterday, and added water. I had been brushing most of it towards the deep end to get it concentrated to vacuum as much as possible quickly.

This was what I started with:

DSCN2165.jpg

This is where I am at now, I got most of the crud in the deep end and was working the upper end when the water dropped below the skimmer level and we stopped for the day. The deep end is clean(er) all the way to that dirty line off the steps.

DSCN2174.jpg

The other benefit of adding the fresh water, is that it's clean water I don't have to filter as much, and providing my tap water isn't full of calcium, it should help me lower that, as my levels were pretty high. I dropped some bleach in last night just to keep the levels up, but haven't ran a full test while we are adding more water. I hope to make another pass this evening.

Progress! The kids are chomping at the bit... LOL. Thanks to all who have helped so far... I shudder to think where I'd still be if I hadn't found this place.

Fourth and final vacuum, and I let the very happy kids swim in the pool...

With the water replaced, I ran a full set of tests, most of it looked to be good, a little unsure on how to go about raising my CYA... any thoughts would be appreciated. I was poking around the pool calculator and think I got a handle on how much chlorine, but I have some of a 5lb bottle of granules, probably half a pound's worth.. should I throw that in there?

FC=>1
CC=2
TC=2.5-ish
TA=90
CH= 560 (Down from my previous 770)
CYA=15
PH=7.5

I am still in shock that that dirty mess is clean, clear, and swimmable... you guys rock.
Now I have to fix my gas grill and find some sunscreen... :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

car guy said:
FC=>1
CC=2
TC=2.5-ish
TA=90
CH= 560 (Down from my previous 770)
CYA=15
PH=7.5

I am still in shock that that dirty mess is clean, clear, and swimmable...

I'm new to this stuff too, but I don't know that I'd consider a CC of 2 and a FC of only 1 safe to swim in?
I recall being a kid and swimming in swamp pools and paying for it with the worst swimmers ear infections. Ugh!!

Re: Pool sat for two years... help. **Update - we went swimm

It was mostly tap water as I'd been filling it after I vacuumed to waste the last couple of days... and I had been shocking the snot out of it for the past month. I'm adding chlorine tonight, but I am sure it wasn't much worse than being in the tub. The PH was on the money... Honestly I couldn't keep them out... LOL. They have been super excited.

brandon,

My pool was similar but maybe worse this year. I had to stay in shock for 3 weeks to finally clear the CCs. If that last picture is the most recent, I'd increase your FC to shock and hold it until you lose all those CCs. Other than that, it looks a lot better, but I think you'll really shock and awe everyone if you keep this pool FC up for a couple more weeks. There is still suspension in the water.

Tom

It's not the most recent, I will try and get another one today, but I brought the chlorine level to a little over 7 last night, adding what was left of my granular stuff and some bleach... and ran the filter.

This morning I am showing a FC of 6, and a CC of 1 and a CYA of about 25-ish... The water is clear enough to see the drain in the bottom end, but I am sure there is a little particle suspension that could be cleared up. My filters are pretty hammered, also. I am going to see about getting new ones, but after cleaning them really good, and the progress, my pressure hasn't been climbing as fast as it did in the past, I I am thinking it's definitely cleaner than it was.

With registered CC and it not appearing like the water is crystal ckear ... sounds to me like you should be continuing the shock process as you have failed 2 of the 3 criteria for stopping. And I have not seen OCLT results so you nay be 0/3.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

I see what you guys are saying... I will bring it back up to shock level. I didn't stop voluntarily, I have to vacuum to waste and then have to add several inches of water after that... it's been an adventure.

DSCN2178.jpg

DSCN2176.jpg

Well, he water has gotten clearer every day... I am surprised. Not sure how clear is perfect, but I can see debris clearly in the deep end. It's actually a little clearer than the picture shows..

Test results today show my TA is low, and the Pool Calculator suggests adding 12lbs of baking soda to bring it into the 100 range... I would like a second opinion before I dump a bunch of stuff int he water... and my CYA is low, at 20. I have a 3lb jug of chlorine stabilizer from lowes, and I wanted to be sure that it the right stuff also to bring it up 10 points to 30.

As always any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Test Results:

FC= 2
CC= 0
TA= 70
CYA= 20
PH= 7.5

I would leave your TA as it is. Not too low and will help hold the pH down.

You need to finish the shocking process and a FC of only 2 is way too low ... focus on finishing this.

You know your water is "clear enough" when on a calm day it looks like your pool is empty.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.