Pool Renovations in Tucson

Quartzite tile guys came over as promised and finished the job but I couldn't get photos because thunder clouds rolled in and the three of us raced to cover their work with a blue tarp. For the 90 seconds I glanced at their craftsmanship, it looked amazing. A significant amount of rain fell but water didn't pool on the tarp so I think we'll be good. Come daybreak, I'll peel off the cover and share what I find.

Photos of the finished tile work.

IMG_0773_zpsxyb9bjmf.jpg

IMG_0774_zpsgs8pgl8g.jpg

IMG_0775_zpswzvlsfuf.jpg

Very nice job! Look forward to seeing pics of those tiles all shiny and clean. I had waterline scale like that once after a winter of not properly maintaining my water chemistry. Cost me $3/ft of tile to get it cleaned but the company did a fabulous job! Ever since then, I've kept my water balanced the TFPC way and I have absolutely no scale.

Looking good, Flappy, looking real good.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, JN! Most of that waterline came with the pool when we moved in but I'm sure we exacerbated the problem relying on a chemical service. Tile cleaning is scheduled for Monday but the forecast shows rain.

Yeah, we got a nice amount of rain over here on the east side. Only add maybe a 1/2" or so to the pool. Hopefully your tile guy can clean even if there's some rain.

The company I used is out of Phoenix and they do soda blasting (kieserite, actually, which is magnesium sulfate). Does a beautiful job on tile and stone with no damage whatsoever to the tile glaze and doesn't require any acid.

Looking forward to the results....

PB was out this morning to prepare for new plaster. He rinsed off the existing surface and vacuumed all the water up with a shop vac.

Still waiting on the tile cleaning but it is supposed to happen today. Strikes me a bit odd that the pool would be prepped for new plaster before the waterline tile blasting occurs. Doesn't that mean they will have clean up twice?

Edit: Waterline cleaner dudes just showed up and are doing their thing. At work but watching the progress from the web cam:

waterline_zpsd52q8dcd.png

water2_zpsj5b1rlyr.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The tile cleaning debris and cleanup should be minimal. Looks like their doing some kind of grit blasting (probably glass bead or soda). The cleanup for that is nothing more than a vacuum and, if their nice, a quick spray down with the hose. Don't worry about the PebbleTec application, those guys are incredibly thorough when it comes to surface prep. They will clean up any debris they think is a problem simply because they are on the hook for any warranty issues. You'll be looking alright in no time Flappy!!

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, nice outdoor kitchen :cool: :cool: :cool: !! I see you have a little portable smoker there too. I have a 4-burner gas blowtorch for burgers and dog and a Big Green Egg for the real deal BBQ'ing....no outdoor kitchen, just a built-in grill/smoker bar.

I am with you------------so now they need to clean up again! There is NO way I would allow them to shoot plaster without another cleaning. Why take the chance of the plaster not sticking??

Kim

Yeppers. Talked to the PB and confirmed. They will be cleaning (again) first thing tomorrow morning prior to laying the plaster at around noon.

The waterline tile looks great! I had no idea that the grout was supposed to be white! I had always seen it as a dingy grey...

IMG_0778_zpsuhlz3fz4.jpg

...The cleanup for that is nothing more than a vacuum and, if their nice, a quick spray down with the hose. Don't worry about the PebbleTec application, those guys are incredibly thorough when it comes to surface prep. They will clean up any debris they think is a problem simply because they are on the hook for any warranty issues. You'll be looking alright in no time Flappy!!.

Great to hear. The PB is probably tired of hearing from me since I call almost daily but I have trust issues. For the amount I am paying, they can just deal with it.

...BTW, nice outdoor kitchen :cool: :cool: :cool: !! I see you have a little portable smoker there too. I have a 4-burner gas blowtorch for burgers and dog and a Big Green Egg for the real deal BBQ'ing....no outdoor kitchen, just a built-in grill/smoker bar.

Thanks, JN! The built-in grill actually came with the house which is bizarre since it was a foreclosure and even the water heaters were stolen. I fixed up the beer tap, installed a side burner, and rolled in a Traeger smoker. I'll be doing baby back ribs and pulled pork for my company on Thursday. Fourteen hours on hickory, cherry, and maple for the pork butt and six hours for the ribs using the 3-2-1 method. On a conference call this morning, one of my peers was complaining about cold weather - he lives in Michigan. Sure is nice to be in Tucson this time of year, isn't it?
:party::party::party:

You're making me hungry.....and I know where you live...I will simply follow the plaster dust trail to your backyard.

I saw the tap too, very nice!!

That's going to look real nice with a new fill.

So what time is the party? Kim needs to know so she can make proper flight arrangements ;)

Kim is certainly welcome. As long as she doesn't try to bogart my baby back ribs. :pig:

That's cooooold Flappy, real cold :( But I would totally bogart the ribs, so you're justified in your concern ;)

Wondering if you guys got rain? We got hammered here on the eastside! My pool is filled up to the top with 3" of rain water. I'll be draining later today after I let it mix in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.