Pool Renovations in Tucson

Well, my thought is this - if it is truly the source of the leak, then a patch job is just that, a patch. Maybe you get 5 years out it. If you think you're going to be there for the long haul, then I would definitely sit down with the PB and see what the cost is to chip out the old skimmer and do a replacement. Maybe the cost is high or maybe it's not. For me, I hate just patching thing over and rest easier knowing things have been fixed right.

Take it for what it's worth, just my personal 2 cent opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006
Thanks, JN. How are skimmers normally sealed against the tile? Is it a gasket, grout, or some sort of quickset?

Even if you don't want a patch as the final fix it might be a good idea as a troubleshooting step just to prove that is the problem and the only problem. You mentioned that with the pump on you lost twice as much that could point to a problem at a secondary point.

Just a quick update. The water level remains at the bottom of the tile. It has not fallen in over 24 hours and I think it is safe to assume that the leak is indeed from the skimmer.
I am going to patch it with epoxy for now - see how it holds up over the winter. Hopefully I'll get a few season out of it. Who knows - maybe I'll want to redo the deck in a year or two.

- Flappy

Sounds good. Let us all know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Yes, keep us updated on the leak or lack there of if a patch fixes it.

PB came over and re-grouted the skimmer.
620a4fab4d514ff2d6350d6e4fe2b7fd.jpg

It will be interesting to see if that holds water.

Indeed. Hopefully the patch holds up.

Where is the skimmer relative to the edge of your deck? Hopefully the water that infiltrated the ground around the skimmer has had time to dry up a bit. We're looking at some frosty night time temps ahead next week.

Indeed. Hopefully the patch holds up.

Where is the skimmer relative to the edge of your deck?
Skimmer is about 18" from the pool edge.

JoyfulNoise said:
Hopefully the water that infiltrated the ground around the skimmer has had time to dry up a bit. We're looking at some frosty night time temps ahead next week.
You trying to keep me up at night, JN? ;)

The patch seems to be holding but time will tell. According to my weather station, we got about 1/4" of rain last night and that is about how much higher the water is this morning.
The PB added calcium yeterday afternoon and the pump has been running ever since.

It is also nice to see the water balanced. It is crystal clear. :cool:
FC 5
CC 0
CYA 40
pH 7.8
TA 100
CH 300
NaCl 600 (no additional salt added yet)

- Flappy

Glad to hear it's working out. Great pool numbers. We got about 1/4" of rain on the east side too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.