Pool/Pump problems, very detailed, need help please.

I am not sure what you read about not doing 2 things on the same day. You can make most adjustments within a few minutes of each other.

The CYA should be added to a sock and put in the skimmer. It may take up to a week to fully dissolve and show up on the test. Just squeeze the sock occasionally.

Yeah, I just wanted to be sure.. I thought I read somewhere or read a post that someone said there were two steps you can't do on the same day, probably read something else.

So I put that I want to take it from 20-30CYA,(Little steps, have to take a few steps to get it to 30 I think) it says 24oz by weight of stabilizer. Seems like a lot(Probably isn't), could probably fill a sock and a half, just making sure before I launch my CYA through the roof.

pH is 7.5 (Will do my best to never let it go above 8.0 again!) I assume it could damage my liner? Going to swap out those jets tonight.

I'll test my CYA again in a week or when the stuff has dissolved.

I'll keep my FC at 4PPM just because I know I'm going to have my CYA at 30, may be a bit high but it will work none the less.

I'd like to take a moment to thank you all for your time, sorry if I asked more question than a normal person, I just like to be sure. Next pay I'll be a TFP member for sure. :) <3 You guys have saved me oodles of cash!

Hind sight, I should have ordered more CR-0013, 0871, 0870 and not ordered the R-0600 but you learn as you go right. :D

4ppm is fine ... there is nothing really harsh about that even with a CYA down around 10ppm.

High pH just has a possibility to result in calcium scaling. It should not damage the liner.

You are well on your way to having complete and easy control over your pool :goodjob:

So just posting because my sock is now empty and it's been ~24 hours, you said about a week so to me something's going on in my head. However, could it be because my water is 28C? OR does it dissolve quick and just take time to get through all the water and show a proper reading?

CYA breaks down into smaller and smaller bits, and can get out of the sock well before it is fully dissolved. A weeks is the worst case. At 28C it shouldn't actually be that long. However, lowering CYA is difficult, so you don't want to go over accidentally, which means it is worth waiting the full week just in case.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I learned some new things today... I should have replaced the pump when I had the opportunity.

I shouldn't have trusted the pool guy when he said hose was as good at pvc pipe.

The pump gave out again (ran solid since I last had problems) and it had to have happened in the last 12hours but it has clearly overheated and affected its connecting parts now. :

so I guess I should replace it, as well as the hose and the burnt elbow (I assume once I install a new unit I'll have to replace that stuff anyways)

I'm no electrical guru so what I think I'll do is buy a good pump and then from there I'll pvc it all in and get an electirician to wire it for me.

My questions are :

How can I be sure the units can be just swapped out so I take as little time with the electrician as I can. (Maybe is this something I can do myself)

Do you think this is a good pump?

http://www.poolsuppliescanada.ca/hayward-maxflo-vs-variable-speed-pump.html
http://www.poolsuppliescanada.ca/jandy-flo-pro-variable-speed-pump.html

or could I go with something like this?

http://www.poolsuppliescanada.ca/hayward-1-hp-super-pump-inground.html

And then lastly, do you think that if I flow water to the pump again and turn it on all will be good or would that be high risk? I suppose it's just a switch to stop everything again but I don't want to cause problems.

Is there a different variable speed you'd recommend?

Also, if I get a pump that has bigger ins/outs than my current plumbing, doesn't tappering it down to the 1.5cause problems?"

Hi Yori,
is there some specific reason you are looking at VS pumps? Dont get me wrong, Im not knocking them. They are great pumps and have a lot of very nice features.
I have a VS pump and love it.

EIther of the VS pumps will do the job nicely for you. I dont know the differences in the felxibilities between them, so I would sugget to read the owners manual of each and decide which is best for you as far a programming featrues go.

Depending on your cost per KWH of electricity, the VS pump may not pay for itself in electric costs, if thats one of the main reasons you are looking at them.

If you dont care about the fancy programming options of the VS pump, then a 1 HP 2 speed pump would be the next best option for you.

And yes, I would definitely recommend you hire a pro for the electrical work.

I was looking at the VS pumps so that I can program them to run a couple times a day to keep the water moving (lazy) but power here is 4.944¢/kWh, I don't know how that compares to the rest of the world... It sounds cheap so maybe a 2 speed pump would be the better option, now I don't think a VS pump would pay for itself now that you ahve me thinking about it lol.

Also, if I have to plumb up or down the in/out of the pump to fit my 1.5" pvc, will that cause any problems?

FInancially the VS dont make sense, but there is a lot of value to being able to schedule the pump for multiple times a day. And if you ever consider adding a SWG, its even better.
If the initial cost of the pump isnt a large issue for you, then go with the Hayward MaxFlo. (My personal opinion, VS pumps rock in more ways than just the light bill). And yes, your 4.5 KWH is cheap! Mine is almost 9 cents!

If you decide to go with a with a 2 speed instead. The 1 HP hayward super pump is available in 2 speed.
http://www.inyopools.com/Products/02201170001134.htm you should easily be able to find this in Canada.

In both cases, you will need to do some plumbing work to get it hooked up. Of the pumps mentioned, they all take 1 1/2 inch pipe.

NOTE: Many 2 speed pumps will show up at your door without the speed switch installed on it unless you order it with the swtich installed. SO MAKE SURE you tell the seller you want the pump with the switch already installed.

If you want to run multiple times a day you can use a Timer for that and set it to come on and go off when you want it to.

I was looking at the VS pumps so that I can program them to run a couple times a day to keep the water moving (lazy) but power here is 4.944¢/kWh, I don't know how that compares to the rest of the world... It sounds cheap so maybe a 2 speed pump would be the better option, now I don't think a VS pump would pay for itself now that you ahve me thinking about it lol.

Also, if I have to plumb up or down the in/out of the pump to fit my 1.5" pvc, will that cause any problems?

I Absolutey recommed the 2 speed vs 1 speed. For the following reasons
1 - it will save a LOT of money on the electrical costs when running on low speed approx 70% vs high speed
2 - it will be MUCH quieter when running on low speed. Approx 50%

Yeah I just noted the difference and updated my link. You would definitely recommend the two speed over the 1 speed?

I Absolutey recommed the 2 speed vs 1 speed. For the following reasons
1 - it will save a LOT of money on the electrical costs when running on low speed approx 70% vs high speed
2 - it will be MUCH quieter when running on low speed. Approx 50%

Sounds good, I assume the 1 speed only runs on high. :p Thanks for your assistance dave, that specific unit runs the same power as my current one so I'm going to get a reader and test everything (found how) and providing it IS getting the power it's supposed to I'll just hook it up.

Thanks a lot dave.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.