Pool Pump Motor Can't Be Shipped to Me Because It's Not California Compliant

While I initially thought I'd have to live with the 16 built-in schedules, I have an Intermatic timer and realized that if I get creative with multiple on and off times, I exponentially increase schedule options!
In reality, the new motor should have constant power so you either need to remove the trippers from your timer or hook up the pump to the LINE side of terminals. It is not good for the electronics to turn power on and off to the pump. Do you have anything else tied to the timer. You state no heater and no saltwater generator. So only use the time schedules on the pump itself.

In reality, the new motor should have constant power so you either need to remove the trippers from your timer or hook up the pump to the LINE side of terminals. It is not good for the electronics to turn power on and off to the pump. Do you have anything else tied to the timer. You state no heater and no saltwater generator. So only use the time schedules on the pump itself.
In the manual, there are several set scehdules that don't run variable speeds at different times - they are a set speed. The manual says they are designed to be used with a timer. Also, the manual states in several places that schedules start when the power is turned on. Doesn't this mean that they designed it so that you can turn it off and then turn it on at specific times?

There is also no clock to set, so I imagine it doesn't keep time perfectly. If I want the pump to be sure to start at 8am and stop at 4pm (or whatever times I prefer), then a timer that cuts power is the only way to achieve this. Am I wrong here, or missing something?

In the manual, there are several set scehdules that don't run variable speeds at different times - they are a set speed. The manual says they are designed to be used with a timer. Also, the manual states in several places that schedules start when the power is turned on. Doesn't this mean that they designed it so that you can turn it off and then turn it on at specific times?

There is also no clock to set, so I imagine it doesn't keep time perfectly. If I want the pump to be sure to start at 8am and stop at 4pm (or whatever times I prefer), then a timer that cuts power is the only way to achieve this. Am I wrong here, or missing something?
If there is no clock on the VS pump then you would be correct and follow the manual. Other pumps have their own clock and can function well with just direct power. Sorry for the confusion.

If there is no clock on the VS pump then you would be correct and follow the manual. Other pumps have their own clock and can function well with just direct power. Sorry for the confusion.
No worries. I appreciate all the replies because, although not all apply, they contain good information. For example , your reply shed some light on the fact that electronics indeed do not like to be turned off and on all the time. So, I will keep that in mind as I move forward I trying to find what schedule works for me and my pool. ;)

I've now had enough time to play with the new pump's built-in schedules, and am trying to figure some things out.
Each function you are trying to achieve needs a RPM/speed to achieve it. Start with skimming. Start low and raise RPMs by 100 until the weir doors are flapping away every 10 to 15 seconds.
My Weir doors have never flapped unless the wind is very strong and blows hard on the water surface. Otherwise when the pump is running they just open, and stay open. They don't open all the way but they certainly don't open and close. If I drop the speed too low, even though they open a bit, debris on the surface just floats on by. The doors are new, and are working properly. For example at 1100 rpms, it's hard to tell if the water is actually moving. I can feel water being returned into the pool when I put my hand in front of a jet, but, for sure, no debris is being pulled into the skimmers as it floats by. At 1700-ish some debris is pulled in as it floats by. At 2350 RPM, most of the debris going by gets pulled in. A I doing something wrong?

Also, how do you guys know how much electricity is being drawn by your motors at different rpms?

I've now had enough time to play with the new pump's built-in schedules, and am trying to figure some things out.
My Weir doors have never flapped unless the wind is very strong and blows hard on the water surface. Otherwise when the pump is running they just open, and stay open. They don't open all the way but they certainly don't open and close. If I drop the speed too low, even though they open a bit, debris on the surface just floats on by. The doors are new, and are working properly. For example at 1100 rpms, it's hard to tell if the water is actually moving. I can feel water being returned into the pool when I put my hand in front of a jet, but, for sure, no debris is being pulled into the skimmers as it floats by. At 1700-ish some debris is pulled in as it floats by. At 2350 RPM, most of the debris going by gets pulled in. A I doing something wrong?

Also, how do you guys know how much electricity is being drawn by your motors at different rpms?
If you want to know if water is moving at the lower RPM, open the air relief on your filter. The weir REQUIRES a certain flow to operate properly.
What that is is different on each pool, trial and error testing.

Most VSP with a control panel will display the wattage being used. Unfortunately the EVO doesn't have that capability. If you're really curious, you can purchase an inexpensive clamp on amp meter then use the equation volts X amps = watts.
This one from Harbor Freight would work well enough:

Just realize that you will be working with live wires and be VERY careful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.