Pool opening problems

so i've been backwashing a few times today with no problems..tonight I went to do it again and i can't get it going again. Its doing the same thing it was doing when I tried to start it up the first time. I've been trying for like 45 min to get it going and nothing. The only thing i can think of is with all the backwashing the water level has gone done a little and i need to fill some more? Don't know if that would do anything though. Any ideas

I bet you just need to add more water. My skimmer has two screws on each side, as well as the top & bottom. I run my water to the top side screws for a water level. If I'm doing frequent backwashes, It will start sucking air at the skimmer if the level gets to the bottom screw. In other words, I keep my level at the top screw on the sides. If I take the weir (flapper door) out of the skimmer, it will let it run at a little lower level without but it's definitely time to add water.

I watch the small glass bulb, it will start out clear for a few seconds then go to green, rusty, etc., & stop when it clears up, usually about 30 seconds to a minute or more, depending how dirty the filter is. When my pool was really bad last year, it was at least a minute. A lot of water will pump out during that time, lol! Then on rinse, it will start out clear, go a little dirty & clear up again. Then I switch back to filter.

ok filled it up a little and it worked. Probably need to fill some more but it hopefully will be enough to keep it going all night. It was in between the lower and higher screws...closer to the lower though

Not to confuse you, but if you wanted to keep filtering while you top off the water, you could hook a couple of hose sections to your AquaCritter, let it sink in the pool, not much hose to bleed air out of, take out your skimmer basket & run the hose into the suction hole at the bottom of the skimmer. That way, you're still filtering no matter what level your water is at. I did that this year to circulate some clorine in the pool, before taking my cover clear off. With your hose sections, look for a cone shaped adapter to slip onto the hose that will go in the skimmer. It will take a bit to get the pump basket bled of air, but it will go.

Do you need to keep adding chlorine as you are trying to clear the water up? My water test show everything is ideal except chlorine is 0 and ph is really really high...I added ph lower and more chlorine and it hasn't helped. Water test still shows chlorine 0 ph high and this has been 2 days of pump running and 4 gallons of liquid chlorine. Pool water is getting better. It is light light foggy green in color.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok just did a water test
Total Hardness 200
Chlorine 1
Ph 8.4
Alkalinity 80-120
Cyanuric Acid 30-50

What do i need to do next? Keep adding liquid chlorine and more PH down and test and add and test and add? Just seems like 4 gallons is alot

Pool has been running for 2 days now.

a few questions..
Is this your first pool?
What test kit are you using?
Have you read and re-read Pool School?

I noticed your first round of posts were about the filter/pump system. Now that it's working it's time to get to the nitty gritty of balancing your water. The questions I asked above are very important in steering you in the right direction. Please read Pool School over and over. There is a lot of information there. It can be overwhelming at first but the experts here will give you great advice.

Could you also add whatever information you can about your set up in your profile signature. You can find it in the upper left hand corner 'User Control Panel'

O.k., are you still backwashing frequently? It is possible that you have drained out all your CYA. You will need to add more so the chlorine doesn't burn off too fast.

Also, please go to the user control pannel button at the top left corner of the page just under the TFP logo and add the details about your pool. Pool size in gallons, type- in or above ground, construction- fiberglass, liner, or plaster, pump brand and size in horse power, filter type, size, and brand, and any water features such as fountains, spas, or if you have a salt water chlorine generator. It makes it easier to answer your questions that way. Thanks!

I would get some cya in the pool. I have the same size pool as you & also had next to none starting this year. Aiming for a level of 30, I hung 3 lbs tied in an old sock in front of the return, squishing it a couple times a day to help dissolve it. I started putting chlorine in right away to the levels suggested by the pool calculator. My cya level now must be pretty close, because I'm only adding a quart of 6% every day or two to keep a level of 4.

How does your water look? Do you have a good test kit? Without knowing if you need to shock or not, it's pretty hard to tell you what the chlorine level needs to be, but untill we know that, I'd at least aim to keep at around 5 FC. With everything clear & no cc's, I keep a 3-5 level in mine all the time. I test every day with the small test kit that only goes to 5 FC & if I see it's getting a lighter yellow color than the 5, I use the pool calculator to get an amount back to 7 or 8.

If your water is hazy, I would assume you still need to be shocking & keeping a higher level of chlorine than most test kits can test for. Last year, I ordered the TF100 from duraleigh, & it's a great value. It will test for the higher levels needed for shocking & with regular testing, being able to stay at shock level, till things clear up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.