Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Pool motor: Century HST080, 0.8HP, 2.5yrs old

Pump: Hayward SP
Test kit: TF-100
Pool Size: 18500 gallons

To start off, I just want to say that it is most likely my fault as the water level was low to begin with.

This happened yesterday. I tested my water and ph was high so I poured Muriatic acid to bring down. Main drain valve was on and so was skimmer valve ( it can be adjusted by manually turning valve to work with independent vacuum Sunction line). I went outside and noticed motor was not running or making any sounds or burnt smells. So I turned off and on back again and nothing. I filled pool with water. I cleaned vacuum basket and strainer basket. Noticed that there was no water on strainer. I filled strainer with water and tried turning back again, but motor not priming. I stuck a clothing hanger on impeller to see if anything was stuck but it was free, but impeller fan was hard to turn. Is the motor faulty and need to buy a new motor? Bad capacitor ? Should I remove motor and try to clean impeller ? Anything else I can do? Clogged line.

After I cleaned baskets and filled with pool water motor sounds like it is running and no burnt smells, but not priming. I have attached some photos my setup and motor.

Attachments

• 4D3B321D-FC5F-4282-8881-64999B17C429.jpeg
    4D3B321D-FC5F-4282-8881-64999B17C429.jpeg
    609.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 667E4803-FC6C-4765-8758-9DEFE9002DB1.jpeg
    667E4803-FC6C-4765-8758-9DEFE9002DB1.jpeg
    429.3 KB · Views: 16
First let's go over some basic troubleshooting:
- Ensure pool water level is at least halfway up the poolside skimmer opening.
- All valves open at the pad. Or consider closing the drain and priming only from the skimmer at first.
- Weir door at skimmer is moving freely and not stuck closed.
- Fill pump pot with water and watch when you turn on the pump. Does the water get sucked out towards the filter quickly?

First let's go over some basic troubleshooting:
- Ensure pool water level is at least halfway up the poolside skimmer opening.
- All valves open at the pad. Or consider closing the drain and priming only from the skimmer at first.
- Weir door at skimmer is moving freely and not stuck closed.
- Fill pump pot with water and watch when you turn on the pump. Does the water get sucked out towards the filter quickly?
Yes on #1 and #2. I’ll check #3 when I get home. As best as I can see nothing happens on #4, no water gets sucked in or any water moving. Strainer has water.

I saw in another post to: turn on the motor and fill strainer with water to the top while motor running to see if water is getting sucked in. Water didn’t get sucked in. Water not moving at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That last photo may be a little grainy, but that hole looks a little rough. Let's call in another set of eyes. @JamesW
The seal or washer inside looks like it is deteriorating. Maybe motor not turning impeller because there is no firm grasp ? I just checked my phone saw the TFP messages after I put the entire assembly back. It’s getting dark here in SE florida.

Can you show the motor front end?
I just checked my phone saw the TFP messages after I put the entire assembly back. It has not been my weekend or Monday.

The motor was turning when I had the impeller on and the other 2 pieces. The entire assembly was turning when I turned it manually.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.